Susan, mail to your posted address is bouncing, so here's the reply I
just had bounce back to me, with some slight modifications...

On Sat, 2020-06-27 at 19:05, Susan Chan Lee wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Does anyone know how to set-up a secure remote connection using
> netcat, in that one which uses authenication or port filtering
> (without the need to install any other wrapper software).

Pretty much every Unix can do in-kernel firewalling, which would solve
some of your problem, but it still extremely inadvisable to allow remote
access to equipment authenticated by source IP address alone, since that
can be readily spoofed.  If you're doing this on Win32 you probably,
need something like Symantec's personal firewall product.

> I have a requirement were I need to connect to a remote machine and
> get a command prompt. We all know how to do this via netcat by
> setting up a listening port. My concern is that I do not want to
> leave the port open for anyone to connect.

Your concern is warranted.  It's never a good idea to just leave ports
open that blindly accept commands from anyone around the globe, no
matter how "secret" the port number used may be.

> It would be great if when someone connects authenication is required,
> hence in effect all I need is to connect to a remote machine, get
> prompted for a password and then get a command prompt, if netcat
> cannot do this, does anyone know any other peice of software (not
> NetBIOS or SMB)?

Unless you want to throw best practices for accountability out the
window, it should probably ask for a username as well...  Systems need
to be able to log who connected to them if they can, not just when and
where from.

If this query is related to your previous email, according to the
OpenSSH website (http://www.openssh.org/windows.html), OpenSSH's daemon
*can* be run on a Win32 machine, which would solve your problem nicely
once you find a consultant able to build it for you using Cygwin.  Of
course, if you're doing this on Unix machines, it's very easy to set up
OpenSSH and you can probably even find binary packages if you search
around a bit.  Based on your criteria, I *strongly* recommend you try to
find some way to get OpenSSH to run on your target platforms, as it will
fulfill all the needs stated so far.

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm