Years back, I worked on a network where we had a requirement
like this, which we met by deploying a PIX as gateway with an
attached TACACS+ server.  Clients who telnetted to the gateway
and authenticated against TACACS+ got access to the network
beyond the gateway.
  More recently, I've been using some of the authentication
services offered by CheckPoint's FW-1 firewall and BlueSocket's
"wireless" security box.  I suspect that user authentication
as a firewall feature has become fairly widespread, although
I'm not sure how common on boxes costing less than about $10K.

David Gillett