What platform and openjdk release (or build) are you using? What kind of
security providers are specified? When you say "regression", is it a regression
of an earlier build of openjdk?

If I understand correctly, a PKCS #11 security provider is needed to use
PKCS11-based keystores. Currently, only JDK on Solaris includes out-of-box
PKCS11 provider. For all other platforms, you need to supply your own.

Thanks
Max