On 12/7/10 8:20 PM, Mandy Chung wrote:
Hi Sean,

On 12/7/10 12:47 PM, Sean Mullan wrote:
Hi Mandy,

Could I get a code review for 6998860:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mullan/6998860/webrev.00/

Is Providers.getSunProvider() specified to create a new instance of the provider
every time it's called? I would assume that the runtime should create only one
single instance of the Sun provider.

Yes, makes sense but that is how it is currently implemented.

In the comment of the sun.security.jca.Providers.getSunProvider() method, this
method is called in two places.

// Return to Sun provider or its backup.
// This method should only be called by
// sun.security.util.ManifestEntryVerifier and java.security.SecureRandom.
public static Provider getSunProvider() {

Is it correct to change this method to cache and return a singleton object?

That seems plausible but I'm a bit hesitant to change that if there isn't a problem.

--Sean