On 2013-06-11 10:59, David Holmes wrote:

On 2013-06-11 09:22, David Holmes wrote:
Erik,

On 2013-06-07 04:08, David Holmes wrote:
On 4/06/2013 10:38 PM, David Holmes wrote:

On 2013-06-04 06:56, David Holmes wrote:

I think we should add a (configure time?) check to watch for the
illegal: BUILD_CRYPTO=no,  OPENJDK=true.

Not sure where that would fit. Configure is only setting BUILD_CRYPTO
false in the closed logic, so this would be to catch someone either
setting it on command line to configure or make, or a licensee adding
--enable-openjdk-only to configure. To catch both we would need the
check in the open. (And if we start looking at BUILD_CRYPTO in open
configure, we might as well set it to yes there for a default and
skip
ever having it empty.)

Can we do something in the makefile then? Straight after the comment

You never addressed this. Was there some reason not to put a check in
the Makefile?

Right, I started to look at it but gave it some more thought.
BUILD_CRYPTO=no will only be set when building with closed present and
not setting --enable-openjdk-only. The logic in the closed configure for
this variable will be skipped if --enable-openjdk-only is given. So even
if a licensee with a security purged source tree is trying to do this,
the failure will be missing source code when compiling java classes and
the variable BUILD_CRYPTO will still be unset, making a makefile check
pointless.

For the pure open case, why would anyone get the idea to set
BUILD_CRYPTO=no on the command line? I'm sure we have a number of
variables that would screw up the build if set to random values on the
command line and we can't really be expected to check all of them. For
this I would think the comment explaining about the variable in
CreateJars.gmk should be enough to discourage anyone to go about and set
it.

So to sum it up, I couldn't come up with a situation where both of these
variables would be set to conflicting values, that was likely enough to
warrant an explicit check.

Okay. Seemed like a simple sanity check to me without a need for too much thought :)

You were indeed correct to bring it up and I was close to adding a check. But when weighing the pros and cons of where to put it, I started thinking about when it would be triggered, and discovered that I couldn't really trigger it. At that point it felt silly to implement it. Thanks for the review!

/Erik
David

/Erik

Otherwise looks okay.

Thanks,
David

475 # The source for the crypto jars is not available for all
licensees.
The BUILD_CRYPTO
476 # variable is set to false if these jars can't be built to skip
that
step of the build.
477 # Note that for OPENJDK, the build will fail if BUILD_CRYPTO=false
since then there is no
478 # other way to get the jars then to build them.

BTW in the above comment need to change "false" to "no".

Gahh, again, fixed in hopefully the last webrev on this issue. Think
this will be a new record for me.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~erikj/8010785/webrev.jdk.05/

Thanks for your patience.

/Erik

David

ifeq ($(BUILD_CRYPTO), no)
   ifdef OPENJDK
     $(error Crypto libraries must be built in an OpenJDK build)
   endif
endif

David

/Erik