Hi Claes,

The text of JEP 277 [1] has the following:
Given the history of deprecation in Java SE, and the emphasis on long term API compatibility across versions, removal of an API is a matter of serious concern. Therefore, deprecation with the element |forRemoval=true| should be applied only when there is a clear and definite plan for removing that API in the next release of the Java SE platform.
It sounds like Sean has identified enough dependencies on these APIs that they shouldn't be removed in JDK 10, so not marking them forRemoval=true in JDK 9 makes sense.

s'marks

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/277