Thanks Alan.  I think this is exactly the issue I was hitting.

Is it currently not possible to ensure modules have not been tampered with?  I
don’t think my application will ever be properly modularized anyway, so I will
simply make sure those jars are only on the class path.  But I’m a little
surprised that a security issue like this would linger for so long.

I guess with the removal of applet and web start support this issue wasn’t
deemed as serious as it otherwise would be.

Regards,

Scott