Any thought to just deprecating keytool as such and adding a new tool with more modern semantics?    e.g. don't mess with what people are using (except for including a deprecation message), but fork the keytool source tree and do some developments to "ktts" - Key tool - the sequel.   A lot more freedom to rethink the syntax and semantics of key pair and key store generation.

Mike