Thanks Sean,

No I hadn't seen it, I've just read it, will probably need to read it again to appreciate it fully...

It certainly identifies all the issues I'm aware of, as well as being respectful of the original implementors (many of whom participated in Apache River when Jini was donated to Apache), I came to the same conclusion with circular object graphs; the benefits don't outweigh the cost.

We also use annotations instead of interfaces,to annotate the class and constructor, so that overriding classes don't automagically inherit the functionality.

At this time, we haven't reimplemented deconstruction, we are using ObjectOutputStream with serializers, which are basically serialization proxy's for existing classes, we have fully reimplemented deserialization using constructors.

Agree with serial from being independant of the wire protocol, so any serialization scheme can be used, this is an excellent idea of course.

The constructors / deconstructors have identified that serial form is really just a parameter list. Developers will want to make defensive copies of mutable state, just like public api methods.

We did consider constructors with multiple parameters, but decided against it for the following reasons:

  1. We didn't care about parameter order (tuples), or the order in
     which they were serialized / deserialized, we only cared about
     parameter names and types.
  2. For encapsulation we didn't want subclasses having to manage the
     serial form of superclasses, we wanted them to remain as
     independant as possible, so they don't inadvertantly break.
         * For example, a library superclass adds a serial form
           parameter, or changes a type, in its serial form.   The
           child class would have to be aware of the changes in order
           to pass the correct parameters to the correct superclass
           constructor.
         * Different serial version constructors would result in the
           loss of later version superclass state when child classes
           call an earlier version.
  3. We settled on a caller sensitive parameter that is passed to the
     deserialization constructor.
         * Encapsulation: Each class in an inheritance heirarch only
           has access to it's own serial form.
         * The serial form of each class is independant and may evolve
           independantly.
         * Each class in the inheritance heirarchy is responsible for
           checking it's own invariants, including the ability to
           create superclass instances, even if a superclass is
           abstract for checking inter class invariants.
  4. It was less work for the framework to populate a standard
     parameter object, with serial form, the framework didn't need to
     worry about inspecting the constructor signature and determining
     the parameter order.
  5. One constructor could be used for different versions.
  6. We currently use |serialPersistentFields to declare serial form,
     but there is probably a better way of doing this, perhaps a way
     that also documents different serial form versions.|

Regards,

Peter.