I share the same concern. clone() is a heavy weight operation in constructors that can be called alot during intensive crypto operations.

Now that you've done work on Delegate class - why not also keep the (instanceof Cloneable) test ? That can serve as your fastpath for the default JDK configuration AFAIK.

regards,
Sean.