Hi security-dev,

I'd like to revive this 7.5 year old thread for discussion as I have
seen seen several high throughput applications using
`SSLSocket.addHandshakeCompletedListener(HandshakeCompletedListener)`
where the "HandshakeCompletedNotify-Thread" created at
https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/master/src/java.base/share/classes/sun/security/ssl/TransportContext.java#L640
for each TLS handshake adds significant spike in resource utilization.
For example, a service receiving say 10,000 requests per second with
handshakes required for 0.5% we're creating 50 threads per second,
which is significant thrash. We would like to avoid this thread
creation to smooth out resource utilization.

I am tracking Project Loom's progress [1] where
HandshakeCompletedListener handling may be an ideal case for virtual
thread, but would like understand if folks here are open to patches to
improve this situation in the interim? Would utilizing a cached thread
pool be an acceptable patch request option? Would providing a system
property configurable option to execute the handlers directly on the
handshaking thread be an option (e.g. when a handler is lightweight
such as incrementing handshake, cipher suite, and protocol metrics)?

Thanks,
Dave

[1] https://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rpressler/loom/loom/sol1_part1.html