From: John Gray [mailto:john.g...@entrustdatacard.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2020 1:42 AM
To: OpenJDK Dev list <security-dev@openjdk.java.net>
Cc: Jonatan Guillén <jonatan.guil...@entrustdatacard.com>; Carlos Ares
<carlos.a...@entrustdatacard.com>
Subject: How to backports make it into openJDK?

Hello,

I have a question on how the backport process works.   Some of my colleagues at
Entrust noted that HYPERLINK
"https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8180834"JDK-8180834 was backported to
the Oracle 7u191 b31 release
(https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase/7-support-relnotes.html#7u191-b31).
  Essentially it adds GCM Ciphersuite support into JDK 7.   I was able to
download 7u191 from Oracle’s support site and verified GCM cipher suites are
working.

However, they want to make use of OpenJDK 7, but it appears OpenJDK 7u191 (and
later versions) do not contain the backport.

We noticed a couple of things.   The fix for HYPERLINK
"https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8180834"JDK-8180834  says it is in
“branch master” of openjdk 7 (HYPERLINK
"https://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk7u/jdk7u/jdk/file/tip/src/share/classes/sun/security/ssl/CipherSuite.java#l1316"CipherSuite.java).
  If you check the line referenced in this link it says (Unsupported cipher
suites from RFC 5289) [HYPERLINK "https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5289"RFC5289].
  This is the HYPERLINK
"http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8u/jdk8u/jdk/rev/def2e05299b7"changeset that
openjdk made to support GCM in JDK8, If you look at the changes in HYPERLINK
"http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8u/jdk8u/jdk/diff/def2e05299b7/src/share/classes/sun/security/ssl/CipherSuite.java"CipherSuite.java
 the unsupported GCM cipher suites are now implemented.  In the comments of
issue HYPERLINK "https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8180834"JDK-8180834
it says “Pushed changes to Master”, but what master? Is it a private master?
The issue says it is resolved, but it is not closed.    These things make us
suspect that the changes are not in OpenJDK.

Do changes made in master not get automatically picked up by OpenJDK?   Does
the ‘b31’ imply a special side branch or is it a build number?  What is the
process for getting changes added to OpenJDK?

Thanks,

John Gray

Entrust Datacard