My thoughts on how to proceed with this is:

1. Develop authorization layer security provider services in OpenJDK,
   back port it to Java 8 and Java 11 (these provide most of the
   utilised functionality of SecurityManager, allowing developers to
   only implement those which they need, without enabling
   SecurityManager and editing policy files).
2. Remove SecurityManager, Policy and Policy provider in OpenJDK 19.
3. Leave AccessController and AccessControlContext in place, provide a
   security property that allows the stack walk to be disabled (One
   ProtectionDomain to represent all code in JVM, without any
   permissions, later making it the default, while allowing it to be
   enabled) and continue to inject user Subject principles using
   SubjectDomainCombiner for JAAS compatibility. Developers can
   implement just the authorization they feel necessary for users and
   develop their own configuration, or adapt existing.
4. At some point, preferably when StackWalker has equivalent
   performance, replace the internals of AccessController.

Gut feel is that removal of AccessController, AccessControlContext and DomainCombiner causes carnage with JAAS, it's a lot to deal with, SecurityManager and Policy, I don't need them if I've got authorization layer hooks in the JVM.

I wouldn't want to see SecurityManager and Policy be neutralized, it's better to remove it and fail early so people update their software, there's a risk they may update without realizing it's no longer fully functional.   Get rid of the baggage so people can start fresh with better practices.

Note that I'll be implementing a full authorization layer based on least privilege principles, that still utilizes a stack walk. I won't use the standard Java Permission implementations, as I'd like to do things a little differently, for usability reasons, this will do everything I need at least.  If the authorization layer is back ported, then I can support all current versions. My policy files are generated, so I don't need permission implementations to remain compatible.

Whatever happens with JAAS will need to be backported, so we can support all versions.

Regards,

Peter.