On Tue, 8 Feb 2022 18:56:02 GMT, Alan Bateman <al...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>>> I'm almost tempted to have getInputStream(ZipEntry) be re-specified to
>>> throw IAE if the zip entry name is null.
>>
>> I personally think it is best to continue throw the NPE as that provides
>> symmetry with ZipFile::getInputStream,  aligns with the current javadoc
>> where a null parameter will throw an NPE unless specified elsewhere,  there
>> are existing tests which check for an NPE if JarFile::getInpuStream(null) is
>> called.
>
>> I personally think it is best to continue throw the NPE as that provides
>> symmetry with ZipFile::getInputStream, aligns with the current javadoc where
>> a null parameter will throw an NPE unless specified elsewhere, there are
>> existing tests which check for an NPE if JarFile::getInpuStream(null) is
>> called.
>
> I think the scenario that we are discussing is where the parameter is not
> null. It's the case where getInputStream(ZipEntry) is called with a ZipEntry
> that reports its name as null. I don't think it is covered by existing
> javadoc.

Ah, OK, sorry I was focused on the NPE and uber focused on the `ZipEntry`
passed to `getInputStream`.

If you *prefer* an IAE, I can change that when `ZipEntry::getName` returns
null.  I do think we are technically covered via `ZipException` which is
defined : ` if a zip file format error has occurred` and unless something has
gone amiss with the Zip/Jar LOC/CEN, you should expect a non-null value.

Please let me know your preference as if we go the IAE route, I will need to
create a CSR which I was hoping to avoid