On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 16:33:45 GMT, Xue-Lei Andrew Fan <xue...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> About the CSR, did you have a plan to update the "Endpoint Identification
> Algorithms" in the [Java Security Standard Algorithm
> Names](https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/17/docs/specs/security/standard-names.html#endpoint-identification-algorithms)
>  documentation? Currently, the "HTTPS" name is defined for RFC 2818. With
> this update is may be worth to mention the compliant to RFC 6125, like
>
> ```
> HTTPS | RFC 2818, compliant with RFC 6125
> ```

I thought about that but I was hesitant to do that, because technically RFC
6125 does not obsolete RFC 2818 and there has been no successor to RFC 2818. So
I would rather treat RFC 6125 as an implementation-specific feature of the JDK
TLS implementation; in other words we chose to make our implementation
compliant with RFC 6125 but other implementations may choose not to and still
be compliant with RFC 2818. Since RFC 2818 is somewhat ambiguous/vague with
respect to what components can use wildcards, I believe the JDK implementation
is still compliant with 2818. I realize this is not a perfect situation, but if
we do this via the API, then I think we need new APIs such that older
implementations that may be less strict about wildcards are still compatible
with 2818 if they choose.