On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 13:59:44 GMT, Daniel Jeliński <djelin...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> FWIW: I wouldn't expect `SoftReference` (as opposed to `WeakReference`) to
>> be eagerly cleaned.
>
> `SoftReference`s are guaranteed to survive one GC after use; beyond that
> their lifespan is determined by `SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB` and the amount of
> memory available.

> With all the above in mind I decided not to use `sun.security.util.Cache` here

I was not meant to use Cache and timeout for this update.

SoftReference and  this patch should work good in larger memory boxes.
Performance improvement sometimes is a trade-off game between memory and CPU.
Did you have a chance to check the performance in the limited memory
circumstance?  like '-mx64M".