On 4 Apr 2000, 12:34, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Where can I start a search of a freeware software for statistics. My
> main need is to make ANOVA (variance analysis) of a small amount of
> data.

Freeware, huh?  Well that let's out this terrific statistics
application I found that costs $140.00. :-)

I also am finding several calculators that will do statistical
computations, but none of them are free.

Ah...okay...here are a couple of freeware calculators that *may* meet
your needs:

(1) Quickcalc (freeware Win95/98)

Utility program for Windows 95. Enter almost any formula you can think
of and QuickCalc will evaluate it in a hurry. Supports math functions
like exp, log, abs. Also has common trig functions like sin, cos, tan
and financial functions to find the present value, future value,
payment amount or period of an annuity. Recently added statistical
functions like the Normal, Poisson and Binomial distributions. It also
supports variable references, so you can repeatedly run a formula with
different values, or report on interim results. Includes full Windows
help file. Requires the VB 5.0 Runtimes.

http://www.inil.com/users/browne/

http://www.flash.net/~rhbrowne/Programs/QCSetup.zip

(2) Excalibur 32-bit

An RPN calculator for Windows 95/NT with function banks for scientific,
statistics, business, programming (computer science), geometry,
conversion and complex numbers. Storage and recall registers provided.
User defined constants. Currency conversion with user defined exchange
rates. Macro record and playback supported. Custom bank allows a user
to select and see just the buttons and macros they use most.

http://www.tiac.net/users/dber/files.htm

ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/win95/calc/ex32_105.zip

~~

I am going to change gears here and take you to *Statistics On the Web*
- a page full of excellent links and resources.

http://www.execpc.com/~helberg/statistics.html

Scroll down to the section entitled "Software oriented pages".  Then
work those links and see what you can learn.

~~~

Yo!  Got access to a Mac? <G>  This is just what you need: "MacANOVA"

"...an interactive program for statistical analysis and matrix algebra.
On the Macanova home page you will find links for Macintosh, DOS, and
Windows executables, documentation, and program source."

http://www.stat.umn.edu/~gary/macanova/macanova.home.html

Oh wait.  Eureka.  This program has been ported to Windoze, UNIX and
other flavors.  And it is free, too! :-)

~~~

Okay, this is my last stop:

*Free Statistical Software*

http://members.aol.com/johnp71/javasta2.html

"This page contains links to free software packages that you can
download and install on your computer for stand-alone (offline, non-
Internet) computing."

See if anything listed there would be to your use.

Alan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]