On 08/13/2018 02:18 PM, Tom Cherry wrote:
On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 1:49 PM Hollis Blanchard
<hollis_blanch...@mentor.com> wrote:
On 08/13/2018 01:45 PM, Tom Cherry wrote:
On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 12:43 PM Hollis Blanchard
<hollis_blanch...@mentor.com> wrote:
The __atomic_* GCC primitives were introduced in GCC 4.7, but Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 6.x (for example) provides GCC 4.4. Tweak the current code to
use the (most conservative) __sync_synchronize() primitive provided by those
older GCC versions.

Fixes https://github.com/SELinuxProject/selinux/issues/97

(Really, no __atomic or __sync operations are needed here at all, since POSIX
4.12 "Memory Synchronization" says pthread_mutex_lock() and
pthread_mutex_unlock() "synchronize memory with respect to other threads"...)
That section means that pthread_mutex_lock() and
pthread_mutex_unlock() will perform an acquire / release operation
respectively, so if you're guarding shared data with them, you don't
need additional memory synchronization.

In this case however, the fast path does not call pthread_mutex_lock()
and thus there is no acquire operation.  pthread_mutex_unlock() will
perform a release operation in the thread that actually compiled the
regex (so technically, we don't actually need the __atomic_store_n),
but we still need an acquire operation on the fast path, which is why
we need the atomic.
You really don't. The fast path access will race whether it's "atomic"
or not. Luckily, it doesn't matter if you get false positives or false
negatives, because it will be checked for real under the mutex.
It does matter if you get false positives.  False positives do not
lock the mutex and return immediately that the regex has been
compiled.  Without the acquire operation, it's possible that
spec->regex_compiled is true, but the value of spec->regex hasn't been
made visible to the processor executing this thread, which results in
an error.
Well, since there are no objections to this patch, I am happy to have it committed to fix the build problem. :-)

Hollis Blanchard
Mentor Graphics Emulation Division