I don't quite understand your initial question: a repeated event can have
thousands of repetitions, so it wouldn't be practical to specify them all
manually; meanwhile, #ask is just how data is retrieved within SMW.

You do point out one weakness in the scheme I'm proposing, although I don't
think it's a major one: that it doesn't let you have more than one data
property on the page that's the recurring event. To show why I don't think
it's a big deal, let me illustrate with your example: for a book, all the
dates you listed are most likely single events. But let's say one of them is
repeated, like there's a daily editing meeting for several months. In that
case, you can create a page called "[Book name] editing meeting", and have
all the necessary repeating-event properties on that page, instead of on the
book's own page. Which I think is natural anyway: if any sort of event
happens on a regular basis, it's probably important enough to have its own
page.

To your other question - I don't know about all the formats, but I think
most handle multiple values per property. Semantic Google Maps does, and I
think the 'calendar' format does as well - if it doesn't, it should.

Date arithmetic can, and I think should, be done by parser functions outside
of SMW - I don't know of any extensions that do it at the moment, but it
would definitely be a good idea for an extension.

-Yaron