My two technical questions remained open, and I have a third one:

(1) Would it even be possible to deploy many MW extensions that are in
different top-level directories in one git repo without pulling
subdirectories from the repo individually? If not, then the deployment
of git-code on sites would be essentially the same as before.

(2) Won't there be inconveniences with automated testing if some
extensions are not compatible with SMW changes (yet)?

(3) Who will be able to approve (or even self-approve) code in gerrit?
Could I commit to every extension without review then? Can others do the
same for SMW?

I agree with all the development advantages, esp. making it easier for
people to contribute across extensions. It would also help with sharing
work during code review.

I am not convinced about the compatibility thing as being a real
advantage. If we want to make releases at the same time (as one big
snapshot of the repo), then we will have to wait with releasing SMW
until other extensions have caught up. This would lead to delays, and
extra work for the person who does the release. We would also need some
process to check if an extension is still compatible to know if it needs
to be tagged as unstable/unmaintained etc. Extension developers would
not be happy if we flag their code as unmaintained in a new release just
because they did not react to an email for a week or so. Somebody would
need to be responsible for this. Having improved compatibility would be
great, but I think this needs more than just copying files to one git
repo. This does not speak against Jeroen's suggestion, it just means
that we will not automatically get all the advantages right away by
simply copying files into a joint repo.

Markus