Hi,

I didn't know whether you were serious about splitting off the SMW PS class
into its own extension, but clearly you are - and you might want other
functionality split off as well, like maybe an #info tag extension. I don't
know whether it's worth having a full discussion about the philosophy of
extension size on this list - there was a long discussion about this topic
on the wikitech-l mailing list last month that covered the main points,
which anyone can see here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/wikitech/375342

This is a big topic, but I'll just say that the view of MediaWiki
extensions as libraries or packages is, in my opinion, not an accurate
description. If there were a true "package management system" for
MediaWiki, that everyone could use easily, it might be a different story,
but at the moment there isn't. So many people end up maintaining many
different versions of MediaWiki and many different combinations of
extensions, each with their own versions; and the more extensions there
are, the more work it is for admins and the more things that can go wrong -
and by extension, the more work it is for developers who have to document
all the installation steps, detail all the version compatibility issues,
and help with debugging every time something goes wrong.

But, back to this specific issue: what exactly is the liability of having
this PS SMW class/file contained in SMW? You and James have both said that
it would cause problems, but I don't see how. Even in the worst case, where
the code in the class is awful and doesn't work at all, as long as it
doesn't affect the normal running of SMW it shouldn't be an issue for SMW
developers. If you see a bug report or email relating to the SMW PS code
not working, you can either ignore it or assign it to whoever is
maintaining Page Schemas (at the moment, sending it to either me or Yury
would be fine). Is it really an issue that one or more classes in SMW are
not covered by unit tests, other than an aesthetic one?

-Yaron