Heiya,

propably you feel the same ennui and fatigue as I do when looking at
this rigorously reformatted e-mail. On the other hand this is probably a
mail condidate which obviously failed. So let my try again
:

Hello everyone,

we are happy to announce the availability of the first release candidate
for the upcoming Semantic MediaWiki 3.0.0 release: [0]. Note that this
is a development version not to be used in production.

Semantic MediaWiki 3.0.0 will be an epic release bringing a lot of new
features and improvements as well as bug fixes, most notably:
* ElasticStore as an alternative backend
* Rework of the list formats as well as the template format which isnow
called plainlist
* Several user interface changes to make them more intutive and
mobile-friendly:
** Special:Ask including input assistance on input fields and
comprehensive input help (cheat sheet)
** Special:Browse including grouping of properties
** Property and Concept pages including a tabbed view
* Special:Search integration extended including a new search profile
* Extension of the query syntax by:
** query markers (@deferred, @control, @annotation)
** query conditions (+depth, in:, phrase:)
** query printouts (+width=)
* Possibility to restrict query execution
* Extension of the table format by datatable classes
* New create protection feature
* New namespace "smw/schema" allowing to define schemas for several purposes
* New API modules "smwbrowse" and "smwtask" and further API module
improvents
* General performance improvements

See the preliminary release notes [1] for this and for much more
information on the features, enhancements, changes and fixes this
release will bring.

Note that Semantic MediaWiki 3.0.0 will drop support for PHP 5.5 and
lower as well as MediaWiki 1.26 and lower. See also the compatibility
notes [2] for detailed information.

This release candidate is meant to gather feedback and to allow you to
do testing against the new version. You can try out the new features on
the Semantic MediaWiki sandbox wiki [3], or upgrade your own test wiki.
If you find any issues, please report them on our issue tracker: [4].

To update Semantic MediaWiki, change the version specified in your
"composer.local.json" file to "~3.0@rc" and run "composer update
--no-dev". Remember to also update your database afterwards by running
"update.php" due to schema changes and new database tables. Also rebuild
your data by running "rebuildData.php" after this.

Thank you for testing this release candidate.

- The SMW development team

[0] https://bit.ly/smw-300rc1tag
[1] https://bit.ly/smw-300rc1
[2] https://bit.ly/smw-300rc1compat