dw.com
<http://www.dw.com/en/serbia-caught-between-nato-and-russia/a-19078624>

Serbia caught between NATO and Russia | TOP STORIES | DW.COM | 26.02.2016

Deutsche Welle (www.dw.com)

Serbian Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic's cooperation deal with NATO has
called Serbia's military neutrality into question. Despite assurances that
Serbia will not apply for membership in NATO, tensions with Russia are not
weakening. Instead, right wing forces are growing stronger, and the
government is avoiding a serious public debate by shifting the "guilt" to
its predecessors.

The tug-of-war between the East and the West has always been present in
Serbia - even today, with the country well on its European path. Maintaining
military neutrality while cooperating with NATO through the Partnership for
Peace program, and at the same time keeping good relations with Russia, is
still the best option for Belgrade, from both an economic and political
point of view. However, every step closer the administration moves toward
Europe and transatlantic integration is met with an increase in right-wing
and anti-Western rhetoric. Since 2000, all Serbian governments have
attempted to sit between these two chairs, but it's a strategy with a
definite expiry date.

Heavy criticism

Serbian Foreign Minister Ivica Dacic

The creation of a legal basis for cooperating with NATO, as well as the
deaths of two Serbian diplomats kidnapped in Libya in the American bombing
of ISIS positions, has revived public debate about Serbias relationship with
the alliance. Some opposition members, as well as Russian officials, believe
that Serbia is endangering its proclaimed military neutrality and taking a
big step toward formal membership in NATO. But Vucic, as well as Minister of
Foreign Affairs Ivica Dacic and Serbian President Tomislav Nikolic, all deny
that this is the case.

The law itself brings nothing new," Zoran Dragisic, a professor at the
Faculty of Security Studies at Belgrade University, told DW. "It is an act
confirming the ratification of the agreements previously signed. Serbia
clearly stated that it will not join NATO. And nobody has asked us to do it
so far. In my opinion, we missed our chance in 2009, when Croatia and
Albania joined the alliance."

The part of the agreement that has been most heavily criticized is the
clause which gives NATO troops diplomatic status, immunity from criminal
liability and taxes, and also provides access to Serbian military
facilities. Dragisic explains that these are universal rules that appear in
all the documents agreed with partner countries. But the opposition is using
the provisions as an argument for turning towards Russia.

 <http://www.dw.com/en/serbia-caught-between-nato-and-russia/>

Early elections

Dissatisfaction with current politics prompted an anti-NATO rally in
Belgrade. The protest was attended by few thousand people who see
cooperation with the alliance as a kind of national humiliation. The
situation has been further complicated by the announcement of early
parliamentary elections in April. Divisions between supporters of the West
and supporters of Russia are intensifying, and right-wing populism is
growing.

Zoran Dragisic of the University of Belgrade's Faculty of Security Studies

"If the law had been passed two months ago, when the elections were not yet
in sight, nobody would even have noticed it. In the absence of quality
political solutions, the right-wing block wants to take an advantage and
focus on a topic that will benefit them in the elections. I think that our
citizens are more interested in how the future government will solve real
problems and provide them with a better standard of living, healthcare, and
education. NATO is absolutely not a topic that interests people," said
Dragisic.

However, sparks between the so-called patriots and traitors are flying more
frequently than before. After a series of insults and threats to members of
the Center for Euro-Atlantic Studies (CEAS), the website of this
non-governmental organization that openly supports Serbia's entry into the
EU and NATO was hacked. The head of the EU delegation to Serbia, Michael
Davenport, was booed at a lecture at the Faculty of Political Sciences. Just
a few days earlier, a group of young men heckled American ambassador Kyle
Scott during a debate about the US.

Lost in the past

The cooperation between Serbia and NATO has been shaped mainly by the 1999
intervention against the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. Even today, 17
years after the NATO bombing, some consider the West to be an enemy, and its
actions to protect Kosovo Albanians as an act of aggression on their
sovereign soil.

"I will never support cooperation with the aggressor. NATO bombed us, and
took Kosovo from us. People died because of them, and now we are giving them
immunity. We have a short memory, and that's our biggest problem," Nikola T,
a student from Belgrade who was only five years old when the intervention
started, told DW.

Anti-NATO posters in Belgrade

"His fellow citizen Anita J. (37) has a completely different opinion. She
says that Serbia has learned nothing from its tragic past. "The regime of
Slobodan Milosevic terrorized not just Kosovo Albanians, but its own people.
They provoked the bombing even though they knew they were fighting against a
superior opponent. The attacks lasted 78 days, more than 2,000 people lost
their lives, including my friend who worked at Radio Television of Serbia.
Our schools, hospitals, factories and infrastructure were destroyed. The
aftermath can still be seen. We will need several decades to fully restore
our country," she said.

The inability of the ruling elite to implement reforms and to improve the
economic situation in the country, as well as common representation of the
EU as a "blackmailer" only works in favor of the pro-Russian right wing.
Exhausted with poor political decisions, conflicts and poverty, some
Serbians can see neither their past nor future clearly.

"A part of our community falsely believes that NATO is a criminal
organization created in 1999 to bomb Serbia. Their opinion is hard to
change. That's why the government of Serbia should explain to their citizens
the advantages of EU membership and cooperation with the alliance. That is
the only way to eliminate the persisting prejudices, so Serbia could move
forward," said Dragisic.