washingtontimes.com
<http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/apr/21/serbia-warns-another-balkan-war/>

Serbia warns of another Balkan War

The Washington Times http://www.washingtontimes.com

2 minutes

  _____

Serbian officials warned of another war in the Balkans, an infamous historical
flashpoint for human conflict, if Albania moves forward with moves to create a
‘super-Albanian’ state for Muslims on the Balkan Peninsula, namely Kosovo.

Serbia fought a war with Islamic members of Kosovo in the ‘90s who wanted to
secede from greater Serbia and form their own state. The North Atlantic Treaty
Organization, or NATO, bombed Serbian forces to prevent the genocide that was
happening during the conflict and to force peace.

Serbia’s Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic, a former ultranationalist turned
pro-EU reformer, said that the unification between Albania and Kosovo “will
remain only wishful thinking” and called on the EU to react.

“If I said that all Serbs should live in one state, I would be hanged from a
flagpole in Brussels,” Vucic said, The Associated Press reported.

Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama said an interview with Politico journal that a
union between Albania and ethnic Albanian-dominated Kosovo cannot be ruled out
if European Union membership prospects for the Western Balkans do not
materialize. Serbian government minister Aleksandar Vulin publicly stated he
expected the European Union and NATO to forcibly renounce such statements to
prevent another Balkan conflict.

Vulin said that another war in the region would include Macedonia and
Montenegro which have large ethnic-Albanian populations. This would force
Serbia to align with the smaller ethnic Serbian country, Bosnia.

World War I was started in the Balkans with the assassination of Archduke Franz
Ferdinand of Austria in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina.