euractiv.com
<https://www.euractiv.com/section/global-europe/news/russian-aid-centre-in-serbia-rebuffs-spy-fears/>

Russian ‘aid centre’ in Serbia rebuffs spy fears – EURACTIV.com

EURACTIV.com with AFP

5-6 minutes

  _____

Showing off tents, lifeboats and other rescue equipment at the Russian-Serbian
Humanitarian Centre, co-director Viacheslav Vlasenko laughs at Western
suspicions that his workplace is a front for a spy operation.

“We are very open here,” the cordial 70-year-old Russian told AFP at the base
in the strategically-located town of Niš in southern Serbia – not far from
Kosovo with a large NATO-led peacekeeping force.

Vlasenko listed all the crises in the Balkans that he says his team has helped
to tackle, including forest fires, major floods and the huge influx of migrants
across the region in 2015.

“We are not politicians, we are fulfilling our mission, I hope in a good way,”
he said.

The centre was set up on the basis of a 2012 agreement between Russia and
Serbia, with the stated aim of providing humanitarian assistance and training
for emergencies in the Balkans.

But since its inception, the project has sparked concerns among Western
officials and analysts that Moscow has underhand intentions of using it for
espionage or as a so-called lily pad – an outwardly low-key advance base for
military intervention in the region.

Russia’s as-yet-ungranted request for the centre and its staff to have
diplomatic immunity has only heightened the suspicions, although Vlasenko
insisted that the request had been made simply to reduce taxes.

“You have seen now each corner of our centre,” he said after giving a tour of
the building. “Is it possible to use it for military (purposes)? It’s nonsense.”

Russia is often perceived as a big brother figure to Serbia, a fellow Slavic
and Orthodox Christian nation. Moscow backs Belgrade, for example, in refusing
to recognise the independence of Kosovo, a former Serbian province.

As Serbia and other Balkan countries pursue European Union membership, however,
Russia has stepped up efforts to boost its regional influence.

Balkan ‘chessboard’

Last month Montenegro joined NATO – to Moscow’s anger – effectively completing
the Western alliance’s control of the Adriatic coast. Albania and Croatia have
been members since 2009.

The development came several months after an alleged attempt to overthrow the
government in Podgorica, a murky affair in which Montenegrin prosecutors said
“Russian state bodies” were involved with the aim of preventing NATO accession.

Moscow denies the accusations.

The EU’s foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini warned in March, when asked
about Russia’s role in the region, that the Balkans “can easily become one of
the chessboards where the big power game can be played”.

There is little on display to suggest dodgy activities at the quiet centre in
Niš, where a couple of cheerful men in uniform –on three-month rotations from
Russia’s Ministry of Emergency Situations (EMERCOM) – tick off checklists of
rescue equipment.

Screens in a small crisis operations room show satellite images that can pick
up fires and project flood patterns.

The centre, which cost more than $40 million (€35 million) to set up, currently
has five Russian and 15 Serbian staff members, including interpreters and
technicians, Vlasenko said.

In a major emergency EMERCOM sends in relief teams and aircraft, he added.

‘Nefarious activities’

At a US Senate hearing last month on “Strengthening Democracy and Countering
Malign Foreign Influence” in southeast Europe, US Deputy Assistant Secretary of
State Hoyt Brian Yee expressed concerns over “this so-called humanitarian
centre”.

He feared “not so much what it is now, but what it might become if it receives
what Russia has been asking from Serbia, which is some kind of special status
to protect it, diplomatic status or other immunity”.

Yee noted the centre’s proximity to the border with Kosovo.

“If (Serbia) allows Russia to create some kind of special centre for espionage
or other nefarious activities it will lose control over part of its territory,”
the senior US official said.

Spying plans or not, the project is aiding Russia’s drive to win hearts and
minds in the region. Certificates of appreciation for its aid in times of
crisis line the entrance foyer.

The centre has also helped to clear explosives remaining from NATO’s bombing of
Serbia in 1999 during the Kosovo war, an episode that still fuels deep
scepticism towards NATO among Serbs.

Opinion polls in Serbia regularly show more favourable views of Russia than the
EU – even though European funding far outweighs that from Moscow.

And Belgrade refused to join Europe in imposing sanctions on Russia over the
Ukraine crisis.

Serbian authorities have taken a cautious wait-and-see attitude towards
granting the centre immunity – some have spoken in favour, but the country’s
strongman, President Aleksandar Vučić, has so far resisted it.

The controversy is symbolic of the “real mistrust” between Russia and the West,
according to Aleksandra Joksimović, head of the Centre for Foreign Policy, a
Belgrade-based non-governmental organisation.

“I think Serbia is closely watching how not to cross red lines on one side or
the other,” she said.