Sermon for the Children's Christmas Service,

On the Fourth Sunday in Advent

AMEN

Grace, mercy and peace to you from God our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ! AMEN. In today's Gospel is St. Luke chapter one, where God's angel Gabriel was sent to Mary, proclaiming to her all that God promised to do for her on account of His mercy and grace. The angel's sermon to Mary boils down to this: "Mary, your God will treat as He sees fit, according to His mercy." At the end of the sermon, Mary responds as only a Christian would wish to respond. Mary essentially says AMEN. Mary answered, "Behold I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your Word."

         Dear Christian friends,

It might boil your blood a little bit to hear me say this, but I must confess that I find it disconcerting, or perhaps misleading, to call today's worship a "children's service." Please do not misunderstand me: By no means is it a bad thing for the children of the Church to learn how to speak the faith without fear, as they have done today. By all means, it is a wonderful thing each year to see our children join together in this way, reading to you the Scriptures and telling you about the birth of your Christ.

Still, there is something mildly disturbing about all of this. I guess the thing that bothers me most about an annual "children's service" is the possible impression that the children of the Church do not have an important place in worship during the rest of the year. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The truth is that the role our children have played in today's service is a minor and truly subservient role, especially when you compare it to the role they play in worship during every other Sunday of the Church year.

That may strike you as odd. Today the children have been in the front of the Church and they have participated in the reading of the Holy Scriptures of God. Certainly many people will think it an opportunity-even an honor-to read and to speak in public worship. After all, the older and more articulate children are given longer parts than their younger brothers and sisters. Relatives and guests come to hear the children speak at the "children's service" and we are delighted to welcome them all. Not many people make special trips to church in order to see their nieces or their grandsons sitting in a pew with everyone else.

Nevertheless, the children of our Church have today truly played the most subservient and minor role-a lesser role than the one they play in every other worship service during the year. When it comes to God's living Word, hearing is far superior to speaking and receiving is considerably better than giving. The ones who speak publicly in the Church are the stewards and the slaves (1 Corinthians 4:1); the ones who listen and hear and receive what is given are the beloved members of the Master's household.

This is what today's Gospel shows you. The angel Gabriel may indeed be a mighty angel, but he is still an angel on a tether; an angel with an assignment and a responsibility. Mary is the "favored one." Mary is the one whom the angel serves. Mary is the one with whom God is well pleased. Mary is the one to whom God gives the promised Savior. Today's Gospel depicts a Christian worship service and Mary sits in the highest and most important place, receiving what was promised to her by her God.

Today's Gospel shows that your Christian worship is not primarily an activity, but your Christian worship is, in its main part, passivity. The servant-angel speaks and the favored Mary listens. The servant-angel is nothing more than a courier, delivering the good and gracious will of God to Mary, telling her that forgiveness and salvation shall come to her in the form of a firstborn Son. The servant-angel speaks only what he was commanded to speak, and to this Mary simply adds her AMEN. Mary answered, "Behold I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your Word." That's Mary essentially saying AMEN.

As it happened for Mary, so it happens for you and for your children. Your comparison to Mary is amazingly close:

· You, like Mary, are God's "favored ones" because you, like Mary, have "found favor with God." This favor and high standing comes to you because God your heavenly Father is gracious and compassionate toward you, as He was toward Mary.

· You, like Mary, hear the divine promise of a Child named Jesus, born to save His people from their sins (Matthew 1:21).

· Because all your sins are forgiven you, you, like Mary, now are part of this Child's kingdom, of which "there will be no end."

· You, like Mary, also play your part in worship by saying your AMEN to God's promises. Mary answered, "Behold I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your Word," and you essentially say the same thing with every AMEN you pray in our liturgy.

That is why I find it a bit disconcerting, perhaps misleading, to call today's worship a "children's service." No, I am no suggesting we should no longer have a children's service, especially at Christmas. I am merely attempting to prevent you from overlooking the highly important role your children play in worship along with you during every other liturgy of the year. AMEN is truly the most powerful word in the Christian vocabulary. AMEN is the way you and your children proclaim the power of God's promises to each other and to those who have gathered here with you. AMEN is by no means a perfunctory response written into a bulletin, but it is the voice of your faith. It is the voice of your children's faith. AMEN makes every Sunday a children's service.

The peace of God which passes all understanding guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. AMEN.

'CAT 41 Sermons & Devotions' consists of works that are, unless otherwise
 noted, the copyrighted property of the various authors; posting of such
  gives members of this list implied consent for redistribution _with_
   _attribution_ unless otherwise specified by the author, as well as
             for quoting or use in a congregational setting
                     _with_or_without_attribution_.

   Note: This list's default reply is to the *poster*, NOT the list.
   Do *not* reply to the list with your comments, but to the poster.

Subscribe?              Send ANY note to: sermons...@cat41.org