The sermon manuscript to be preached by Rev. Kurt Hering, to the
saints at Trinity Lutheran Church of Layton, Utah in the Divine
Service this morning.

"Beware of False Prophets"

TEXT: 15[Jesus said:] “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in
sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. Matthew 7:15

Dear Lambs of God,

Why does Jesus tell us to “Beware of false prophets?” Answer: Because
these “ravenous wolves,” regardless of their pious appearance and
stated intent, are destructive to souls and enemies of salvation.
Most of you have probably heard the phrase coined by “Pogo”
cartoonist, Walt Kelly, as the caption for a two panel Earth Day
poster in 1970 that shows Pogo and Porky in a trash filled swamp. It
reads: "We have met the enemy, and he Is us."

The same is true for God’s people, those He has called, gathered
enlightened and continues to sanctify by the Gospel to keep them with
Jesus Christ in the one true faith.
He protects us from without and within by that most Holy institution
of His, the Church.

Jesus specifically points out that these ravenous wolves “come to you
in sheep’s clothing” because the devil “masquerades as an angel of
light,” and it is “the abomination in the temple” which is most
destructive to the Church and the souls gathered in her sanctuary.

God devoted much of Scripture to warning us about false prophets, O.T.
and new because the sad and sobering truth is that the students of the
false teachers are doomed to share the same eternal destruction as
their teachers.
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of
heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
22On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in
your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works
in your name?’ 23And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you;
depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’” Matthew 7:21-23

In order that we might identify these false teachers, who by all
outward appearances look to be ministers of Christ, Jesus switches to
another metaphor.
16You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from
thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17So, every healthy tree bears
good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. 18A healthy tree
cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit.
19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into
the fire. 20Thus you will recognize them by their fruits. Matthew
7:16-20

There are 2 basic types of diseased fruit, that is, 2 types of false
teaching about the works of God’s people.

1. Works righteousness to keep you from looking to Christ
2. Freedom to do whatever I please

Works righteousness to keep you from looking to Christ

For there is no difference; for all have sinned and fall short of the
glory of God, being justified freely by His grace through the
redemption that is in Christ Jesus,... Where is boasting then? It is
excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith.
Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the
deeds of the law.

This works righteousness is not always obvious to spot. it often
dresses itself up as faith in Christ. The problem is it offers
qualifiers to God’s grace – ifs, ands or buts that nullify the
sufficiency of what God has done in Christ to save us and what He
continues to do to keep us in faith unto eternal life.

Freedom to do whatever I please
Rom 3:31 goes on to say, Do we then make void the law through faith?
Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law.

Rom 6:1 2 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace
may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any
longer in it?

It is most certainly true there will be none in heaven who have gotten
there by their own good works or righteous living. But neither will
there be any in heaven who use the blood bought forgiveness of Christ
as a license to continue to revel in sin.
Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of
God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor
adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous,
nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom
of God. 1 Cor 6:9 10

1. Works righteousness to keep you from looking to Christ
2. Freedom to do whatever I please

These are the things that attack us from within and threaten our very salvation.

But God gives us a very sure and certain way to test the prophets. Do
they testify of Christ and the “it is finished” of His Gospel?

No, not all "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter
the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in
heaven. “ The will of the Father is that we look to His Son and live
in the blessings he bestows freely and abundantly upon us.

Beware of false prophets because they offer false hope. They lack the
authority of God and give no certainty – only possibilities and
unfulfilled conditions like the father of lies who tempted Adam and
Eve with the original false hope:
“Did God really say . . . ?  You will not surely die.”

Beware of false prophets who give you conditions like, “If you do
this, then . . . ,” leaving you to wonder if and when the conditions
might be fulfilled. Beware of false prophets because they give you
nothing certain and always leave you with something to do, or
something to complete, or something to decide.

God’s prophets however, come with His authority to call a thing what
it is: to call sin, sin; to call sinners, sinners; call that which is
forgiven, forgiven; to call that which is not forgiven, not forgiven.

So Jesus said to them again, "Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me,
I also send you." And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and
said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. "If you forgive the sins of
any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are
retained." (John 20:21 23 NKJ)

That which He has given, He guards and protects, for you are valuable
to Him.  Just as Jesus came and taught with authority, He sends His
servants of the Word, starting with the Apostles and continuing
through those they trained and appointed in the churches and on
through the Church today so you can tell what and who it is that comes
from Him.

"He who hears you hears Me, he who rejects you rejects Me, and he who
rejects Me rejects Him who sent Me." (Luke 10:16 NKJ)

Christ says, He who believes and is baptized *shall* be saved (Mark
16:16 NKJ), so His Apostle tells you Baptism now saves you (1 Peter
3:21). Beware of false prophets today who, though they speak every
other word about Jesus and what He once did, fail to tell you where
Christ still works today.

Christ says, “Take eat, this *is* my body, given for you”, so His
Apostle tells you the Lord’s Supper is a participation in the body of
Christ. Beware of false prophets today who, though they speak every
other word about Jesus and what He once did, fail to tell you where
Christ still comes in the flesh today (1 John 4:2).

Christ commands His disciples to go forth and forgive sins and deliver
the kingdom of heaven. So the Apostles did. Beware of false prophets
today who, though they speak every other word about Jesus and what He
once did, fail to actually forgive your sins as Christ commands His
servants to do, but instead leaves you to claim that forgiveness by
your own work.

In all of these things--Baptism, the Lord’s Supper, Absolution--God
means to give you the finished work of forgiveness and eternal life.
Beware of false prophets who stop short of giving you the whole thing
and make each of these things a holy work the person is to do, and
thus offer you false hope. For a hope that neither knows nor confesses
that salvation is won, and done, and received in its entirety is no
hope at all.

On Calvary, our Savior said “it is finished.” And in Baptism he says
“you are God’s beloved child.” There is nothing left for you to do to
get in good with God or to enter the kingdom of heaven. It has all
been done for you by and in Christ Jesus. It has all been completely
given to you by the Holy Spirit in Your Baptism. God’s decision has
been rendered and His kingdom has been opened to you – you are
forgiven all your sins to live forever in heaven – in the name of the
Father, and of the + Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen

www.trinitylayton.org

In courtesy to you I give up my right and custom and refrain from
judging your heart, reserving that for another time or for others. In
the meantime, I admonish you to correct your tongue and your pen, and
to refrain henceforth form using such expressions. For how upright and
honest soever your heart may be, your words which are the index of the
heart are not so. -- Luther to Erasmus in "Bondage of the Will"
 'CAT 41 Sermons & Devotions' consists of works that are, unless
 otherwise noted, the copyrighted property of the various authors;
 posting of such gives members of this list implied consent for
 redistribution _with_attribution_ unless otherwise specified by
 the author (as long as no charge is made for the work and it is
 not made part of a compilation), as well as for quoting or use
 in a congregational setting _with_or_without_attribution_.

 Note: This list's default reply is to the *poster*, NOT the list.
 Do *not* reply to the list with your comments, but to the poster.

Subscribe?              Send ANY note to: sermons...@cat41.org