"The past, Present, and Future Merge in the Resurrected Christ"
         Alleluia! Christ is risen!  He is risen indeed!  Alleluia!
In the name of the Father and of the X resurrected Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.] Grace, mercy, and peace to you from God our Father, and from our risen Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. [Amen.]
"God spoke by the prophets long ago, His promise on oath recalling-
To Abraham made in former years: Of vanquishing foes appalling,
That those He delivered from their fears Might gladly and truly serve Him.
"You, child, will go on before the Lord As prophet, His way preparing;
To speak on behalf of God Most High, His counsel of truth declaring:
Rich mercy and grace for all whereby Iniquity is forgiven."
(Lutheran Service Book, © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. 936:2-3) First Reading...................................................... Acts 3:11-21 (Esp. 17-21) 17"And now, brothers, I know that you acted in ignorance, as did also your rulers. 18But what God foretold by the mouth of all the prophets, that his Christ would suffer, he thus fulfilled. 19Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, 20that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus, 21whom heaven must receive until the time for restoring all the things about which God spoke by the mouth of his holy prophets long ago. Prologue: It's a familiar fact of traveling in a car, van, or other vehicle with back and side windows as well as a front windshield. We look out the back window or in the rearview mirrors to see where we've been or what we've passed. We look out the side windows to observe where we are. And, we look out the front windshield to see where we're heading. Life is much the same way, especially when we observe birthdays and anniversaries of significant events. They're opportunities to reflect on past years and occasions, observe the present time of our life, and project ahead looking to see what's coming. Well, this annual "liturgical worship journey" is similar in that, from today's perspective, we look back and see that we've celebrated the birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ; we observe that we're presently in the fifty days of the Easter season that began on Resurrection Sunday; and we're headed to celebrating His ascension followed by His outpouring of the Holy Spirit on His disciples that enlivened them to spread the Good News of God's free gift of forgiveness of sins, salvation, and eternal life to all nations. In the context of that realization our sermon text reminds us and emphasizes to us that .
"The past, Present, and Future Merge in the Resurrected Christ,"
about whom we read in the Letter to the Hebrews that "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." (Heb 13:8 ESV) Today's First Reading (it's labeled that way because it's from the Book of Acts instead of one of the Old Testament books) actually fast forwards us ahead, even beyond Christ's ascension back to His heavenly throne. It does so to permit us to see the total context and significance of our Savior's earthly sojourn. This healing miracle that God performed through Peter gave him and John an attentive audience and resulted in a ripe opportunity to proclaim the Messiah's fully-completed atoning work for the redemption of mankind. That meaningful proclamation began with .
  I.   The Soul-Challenging Question. (11-12)
11While he clung to Peter and John, all the people ran together to them in the portico called Solomon's, astounded. 12And when Peter saw it he addressed the people: "Men of Israel, why do you wonder at this, or why do you stare at us, as though by our own power or piety we have made him walk?" Have you ever seen something so utterly amazing that you became spellbound by it? That is, the astonishment of the event so captivated you that you found yourself simply staring at it wondering if what you saw was really real . or not. God had just miraculously healed a lame man through His servant Peter thereby making it possible for him to do something he had not done for who-knows-how-long. "The man's feet became solid under his weight and his ankles firm; both bones and muscles received not only the strength, but also the ability to use this strength properly." As a result and with Peter's assistance, "he jumped up; he stood upright at first, as if to test the weight on his feet, or to feel the sensation of maintaining an upright position. And then he walked about, with no trace of lameness . ." (Paul E. Kretzmann in Popular Commentary of the Bible: The New Testament Volume I. Copyright © Unknown, Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Page 546.) Because this former beggar-man had been a fixture at the Temple gate for many years, many people were aware of his previous physical infirmity. Seeing him now suddenly running, jumping, skipping, and hopping made them realize that "A miracle had been performed which agitated and shocked them, filled them with wonder and amazement." In fact, "Their astonishment was mixed with admiration and awe verging almost upon stupor." (Ibid.) Undoubtedly those who saw the healed man wondered about and probably even asked how it happened. The wrong conclusion then and by many people who read this Biblical account today is that Peter performed the miracle that enabled this man to walk. Of course, that wrong conclusion is the result of misguided thinking that wants to place people in a position of power. It's the result of the vast majority of the world's population then and today that wants to ignore and even eliminate the reality of the all-powerful Creator-God, who made and preserves His creation . and even often repairs what becomes broken because of its sin-infested condition. Even though many present-day people possess the knowledge, skill, and ability to "fix" things and even people, the real truth of the matter is that God is doing the fixing by means of the resources He gives the fixers. So, the soul-searching question was not the people asking how this lame man was healed. Rather, it was Peter's question to them (yes, and to us today), "Men of Israel, why do you wonder at this, or why do you stare at us, as though by our own power or piety we have made him walk?" Of course, all of this was orchestrated by Almighty God Himself to provide another opportunity for Christ's disciples to proclaim their Lord as the crucified and resurrected Savior. Therefore, we have .
 II.   The Soul-Comforting Answer. (13-16)
13"The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified his servant Jesus, whom you delivered over and denied in the presence of Pilate, when he had decided to release him. 14But you denied the Holy and Righteous One, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, 15and you killed the Author of life, whom God raised from the dead. To this we are witnesses. 16And his name-by faith in his name-has made this man strong whom you see and know, and the faith that is through Jesus has given the man this perfect health in the presence of you all." All of Holy Scripture is Law and Gospel. Peter's mini-sermon is an excellent example of that. His soul-comforting answer first of all "charged his hearers with complicity and responsibility in the crime: 'You killed the author of life.' What a devastating preachment of the law!" (Richard D. Balge in People's Bible Commentary: Acts. Copyright © 1993 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Page 43.) That indisputable indictment pinned Peter's hearers to the wall with shameful guilt that they couldn't deny. It was not a means by which he made friends and influenced enemies. Of course, what Peter preached to his hearers then applies to all of us today as well. Our many sins of omission and commission, those many thoughts, words, and deeds that we think, say, and do contrary to God's Holy Law as well as the many sanctified thoughts, words, and deeds that we neglect to think, say, and do to glorify and honor God served to crucify our Lord and Savior. "Here is a great paradox and mystery. The divine originator and guardian of life was put to death. What man was required to do and could not do-keep God's law-God came and did for us. The work of salvation is divine work, and he who lived and died for our salvation is divine. The God-man's work was successful and accepted by God, for 'God raised him from the dead.'" In fact, "Peter and John were witnesses that God had done this, and the healing of the crippled man was further testimony. It was further [evidence of] the fact that Christ is alive and that he acts in grace and power." (Ibid.) The ultimate great, grand, and gracious healing that this formerly-lame man received and that we also receive today is the forgiveness of sins, salvation, and eternal life. That spiritual healing comes from Christ's own personal "fulfilling of the Law, His life, suffering, and death, [which were] a sufficient ransom for all people" and by means of which "He . [overcame] death and the devil for us." (Luther's Small Catechism with Explanation. Copyright © 1986/2008 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Pages 126f.) The Apostle Paul's declaration to the Galatians that "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us" (Gal 3:13 ESV) reflected what the sons of Korah declared in Psalm 49, "Truly no man can ransom another, or give to God the price of his life" (Ps 49:7 ESV) and what Peter later wrote in his first general letter, "you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot." (1 Peter 1:18-19 ESV) Make no mistake about it! God freely and generously gives us those gracious gifts today in and through His Holy Word, Holy Absolution, Holy Baptism, and the proper partaking of Holy Communion. In conclusion, therefore, what was true for Peter's and John's audience then is true for us today, namely, .
"The past, Present, and Future Merge in the Resurrected Christ,"
about whom His disciple John reported, "'I am the Alpha and the Omega,' says the Lord God, 'who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.'" (Rev 1:8 ESV) Having once again formally celebrated our Savior's past historic death and resurrection, let's realize that His atoning sacrifice provides present pardon for all our sins and thereby insures future eternal glory with Him in heaven. That was the merciful message of today's Collect in which we prayed, "O God, through the humiliation of Your Son You raised up the fallen world. Grant to Your faithful people, rescued from the peril of everlasting death, perpetual gladness and eternal joys." Throughout these fifty days of the liturgical season of Easter we will echo that prayer with the words of the Gradual, "Christ has risen from the dead. [God the Father] has crowned him with glory and honor, He has given him dominion over the works of his hands; he has put all things under his feet." (adapt. from Matt 28:7; Heb 2:7; Ps 8:6 ESV) It's what today's Gospel Reading informed us about the past, present, and future having merged in the Messiah when ". Jesus himself stood among [His disciples], and said to them, 'Peace to you!' Then he said to them, 'These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.' Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, and said to them, 'Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things. And behold, I am sending the promise of my Father upon you. But stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high.'" (Luke 24:36, 44-49 ESV) Today's Epistle Reading likewise communicated that same past, present, and future three-dimensional theme that merges in the resurrected Christ: "See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him. Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure." (1 John 3:1-3 ESV) So it is that we continue our joyful Easter celebration with the declaration, "Alleluia! Christ is risen!" "He is risen indeed! Alleluia!" . knowing that, as today's Introit stated, "In your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me. Sing praises to the Lord, O you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name. For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning." (Ps 16:11b; 30:2, 4-5 ESV) So let's faithfully worship and obey "The Christ who came as a baby, who comes to the hearts of sinners and makes them saints, [and] who will come again on the day that God has set as the time to restore everything." At that time, "The results of the fall will be reversed, and then 'the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God" (Romans 8:21)." (Richard D. Balge. Page 45.) As we wait for that glorious day, let's always remember and never forget that "God the Father has accepted the sacrifice [of Jesus], He is reconciled to sinners. This fact He has unmistakably confirmed by raising Jesus from the dead and by glorifying and exalting Him to the right hand of His majesty." (Paul E. Kretzmann. Page 547.) In the meantime, let's live our lives by thanking, praising, serving, and obeying our gracious God even as we ponder . I. The Soul-Challenging Question (11-12): ". why do you wonder at this, or why do you stare at us, as though by our own power or piety we have made him walk?"
         and dwell upon .
II. The Soul-Comforting Answer (13-16): "And his name-by faith in his name-has made this man strong whom you see and know, and the faith that is through Jesus has given the man this perfect health in the presence of you all." God grant it all for the sake of the risen Jesus Christ, His humble Son, our holy Savior. [Amen.] In the name of the Father and of the X resurrected Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]