+In Nomine Iesu+

Funeral of ASHER COHEN BELL SCHNEIDERSt Luke 1:39-45 and Romans 10:17

“And I will praise thee without end.” Those are the closing words of the hymn we just sang. And, those are among the hardest words to sing when God does things we don’t understand. And yet . . . And yet, we continue to sing the praise of God even in the face of death.
<>
There are two questions that automatically come to mind in the situation in which we find ourselves. One question I have no answer for. The other I do.
<>
The first question is this, “Why?” “Why has something like this happened?” “Why did Asher die?” That question I cannot answer. I can’t provide an answer because God has not chosen to give us an answer. Thus our asking “why” can only lead to dead ends of disappointment.
<>
A two-year-old girl once asked her daddy, “What do you do?” The dad, who happened to be a nuclear physicist, explained in great detail what his job was. He talked to his little girl about nuclear reactors and the physics thereof. He drew diagrams. He even created a three-dimensional illustration out of paper. His explanation went on for the better part of an hour. Very complete. Very thorough. And how much did the little girl understand? None of it.
<>
So it would be if God chose, in this instance, to explain His actions to us. Everything He would say would be true. It would all be complete. And it very well might make no sense to us at all. We would have so much information that our heads would simply become overloaded. The little light that says “tilt” would flash behind our eyes.
<>
But what if the father in my story had simply said to his daughter, “I work so I can take care of you and mommy.” In all likelihood the daughter would have understood and been satisfied. So it is with God. He says to us, “I take care of you.” And that brings us to our second question.
<>
Question number two: “What about Asher now?” For help with this question we turn to God’s Word. Our reading from St Luke today deals with John the Baptist. His aunt, Mary, had come to visit his mother, Elizabeth. As the two women greeted each other John recognized Mary’s voice as the voice of the mother of his Savior. In joy he leaped in his mother’s womb. That was his greeting to Mary.
<>
In the ancient Church a person’s first birthday would be celebrated three months after birth. Why? Because it was understood that that individual had spent the first nine months of his life in his mother’s womb. We make note of this thinking yet today in the Church’s calendar. We celebrate the Annunciation of our Lord on March 25. The Annunciation, by the way, is the visit of the angel Gabriel to Mary informing her that she will conceive and bear a Son – the Messiah. And why do we celebrate on March 25? Simply because it’s nine months before Christmas Day.
<>
In that manner of thinking, the moment of conception becomes a person’s birthday. Now, with that thinking in mind, what did Asher do after his birthday? Lots. Especially this – he went to church. Every time you and Todd and Ethan went to church, so did Asher. You always took him with.
<>
It’s at this point that Romans 10:17 becomes so important. “So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
<>
And what did Asher hear when he went with you to church? He heard about Jesus. He heard about Jesus being his Savior. He heard the Gospel. He heard how Jesus died for his sins. He heard that because of Jesus’ death and resurrection his sins were forgiven. Now someone might say, “Pastor, you can’t prove that he heard anything.” No, I can’t. Nor can anyone prove the negative – that Asher didn’t hear anything. Happily God is not a rationalist like many people are. His arm is never shortened by our unbelief.
<>
If John the Baptist could hear and recognize the voice of Mary before he was born, why couldn’t little Asher hear and recognize the voice of Jesus? “But that’s not reasonable, pastor.” Good! Good, because God is not reasonable either. Instead of being a God of reason, ours is a God of mercy, and grace, and pity. At times like today reason gives us nothing. But mercy gives us everything. Mercy gives us hope, and comfort, and peace. Mercy gives us eternal life.
<>
It is this God of mercy whom Asher met in church. Met and learned of. Learned of, and confessed. Confessed? Absolutely! In the creeds. I don’t find it at all hard to believe that an unborn baby can confess with the congregation the faith he has been given. Or listen to and believe the preaching of the Gospel. Or pray the Lord’s Prayer. Or sing the praises of God. Why are many unwilling to believe God incapable of calling forth from all His beloved little ones – both born and unborn – the praise and honor and faith He desires?
<>
Just because Asher’s words and songs went unheard by us does not mean they didn’t exist. That there were no words. Or no songs. How silly of us to deny God the ability to do whatever He might wish. God always knows His own. Always listens to His own. Always protects His own.
<>
  An ancient hymn says it this way:

  “In the midst of life we are in death;
     from whom can we seek help?
   From you alone, O Lord.”

  Indeed!  “From you alone, O Lord.”

  “And I will praise thee without end.”

In the name of the Father, and of the + Son, and of the Holy Spirit,

Amen

+Consummatun est, in omne tempus+