"Stay Vigilantly Alert in These Evil Days"
In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.] Grace, mercy, and peace to you from God our Father, and from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. [Amen.]
"Awake, O sleeper, rise from death,
And Christ shall give you light;
So learn His love, its length and breadth,
Its fullness, depth, and height.
"For us Christ lived, for us He died,
And conquered in the strife;
Awake, arise, go forth in faith,
And Christ shall give you life."
(Lutheran Service Book, © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. 697:1 & 4) Epistle Reading.................................... Ephesians 5:6-21 (esp. 6, 15-16) 6Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. 15Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, 16making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Prologue: In the devotion for September 18 composed by Rudolph F. Norden in Each Day with Jesus he wrote, "What can you do if, for various reasons, you are confined or are taken away from your regular activities? Held in protective custody at a castle known as the Wartburg, Martin Luther began his translation of the New Testament Bible. The bird man at Alcatraz studied bird life and used this knowledge to good advantage. While in a Philadelphia prison for his failure to pay his debts, Charles Goodyear began making experiments in rubber. "The apostle Paul was also active in prison. There he carried on his work for Christ by writing epistles to mission congregations and evangelizing the prison guards. He set us a good example of redeeming the time, of making the most of every opportunity. (Rudolph F. Norden in Each Day with Jesus: Daily Devotions through the Year. Copyright © 1994 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Page 270.) Of course, one of the most beneficial things we can do-in fact, must do!-is .
"Stay Vigilantly Alert in These Evil Days."
That was Saint Paul's Spirit-inspired, wise, and strong advice to the Ephesian Christians then and you today. He knew from personal experience the daily challenges to sin with which Satan, the world around you, and your sinful flesh bombard you. In view of such, in the verses leading up to today's text, Saint Paul first of all issued "prohibitions and warnings against what is improper", namely and especially, "sexual immorality or impurity among God's people." In fact, he went so far as to tell them (and you) "not only to avoid doing evil, but . avoid even the appearance of doing evil." In addition, he told them (and you) "not to debase God's gift of sexuality by making it the subject of humor and coarse jokes" as so frequently happens in so many contemporary television shows and movies. He informed them (and you) that "in a manner of speaking, the inordinate desire for sexual gratification could be called 'greed'" and, therefore, "what should be called God's good gift to man has in fact become his god" leading to idolatry and "sins against the First Commandment as well as the Sixth." Thus, he warned them (and you) against "All kinds of defenses [that] are made for promiscuous sex, for living together outside of marriage, and for alternate lifestyles" (Armin J. Panning in People's Bible Commentary: Galatians/Ephesians. Copyright © 1997 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Pages 195f.) that transgress God's holy will for His redeemed and sanctified children. So, out of sincere fatherly concern for the spiritual health, welfare, and stability of the Christians in Ephesus then as well as you, the Christians in Perryville and Perry County today, he admonished them and you to . I. Live Each and Every Day As Children of Light By Replacing Devil-Deeds With God's Will. (7-18a) 7Therefore do not associate with them; 8for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light 9(for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), 10and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. 11Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. 12For it is shameful even to speak of the things that they do in secret. 13But when anything is exposed by the light, it becomes visible, 14for anything that becomes visible is light. Therefore it says,
     "Awake, O sleeper,
       and arise from the dead,
     and Christ will shine on you."
17Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 18And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery . . Your Baptism is all about God having rescued you out of the devil's darkness of sin and death by connecting you with Christ's atoning death and victorious resurrection back to life. In your Baptism the Holy Spirit ushered you into the light and life of Jesus Christ and gave you the new identity of "little Christ" . Christian. Because of such, Jesus' instruction in His Sermon on the Mount then applies to you today as well, namely, "You are the light of the world. . let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." (Matt 5:14a,16 ESV) You see, "By being converted or regenerated, the former Gentiles had not only been . filled with the light of the Gospel, but they had themselves become a light in the Lord . . They could now not only walk worthy of the light, but they were able to serve as a light for others, lead others into the way of sanctification." (Paul E. Kretzmann in Popular Commentary of the Bible: The New Testament, Volume II. Copyright © Unknown Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Page 284.) And that applies to all of you present-day baptized-into-Jesus saints as well! Regarding that, Saint Paul told the Christians in Rome that "you yourself are . a light to those who are in darkness, an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of children, having in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth . ." (Rom 2:19-20 ESV) And he told the Thessalonian believers, "For you are all children of light, children of the day. We are not of the night or of the darkness. So then . let us keep awake and be sober. For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with him. Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." (1 Thess 5:5-6, 9-11 ESV) What he wrote to them then God intends for you today as well! In the context of The Lord's Prayer, Jesus taught us to pray, "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." (Matt 6:13 ESV) The Reverend Doctor Martin Luther explained those petitions by saying, "We pray . that God would guard and keep us so that the devil, the world, and our sinful nature may not deceive us or mislead us into false belief, despair, and other great shame and vice. Although we are attacked by these things, we pray that we may finally overcome them and win the victory." Also, "We pray . that our Father in heaven would rescue us from every evil of body and soul, possessions and reputation, and finally, when our last hour comes, give us a blessed end, and graciously take us from this valley of sorrow to Himself in heaven." That is, "We ask our Father in heaven to give us strength to resist and overcome temptations" and "to rescue us from the devil and all evil which has come into the world because of sin." Indeed, "We want our Father in heaven to keep us faithful to Him and when we die to take us from this sorrowful world to Himself in heaven." (Luther's Small Catechism with Explanation. Copyright © 1986/2008 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Pages 21f.; 195-199.) He accomplished that very blessing for you through the atoning suffering and death of His Son, your Savior, Jesus Christ, coupled with His majestic resurrection from the dead in victory over sin, Satan, and death itself. He now communicates the blessings of forgiveness of sins, salvation, and eternal life to you through the reading and hearing of His Holy Word, the declaration of Holy Absolution, the ongoing review of and reflection on Holy Baptism, and the proper partaking of Holy Communion, all of which He gives you in the course of the divine services. God's mercy and grace that Jesus gained for you and freely gives you in those means of grace are not merely words without substance and benefit but reliable divine words of strength, comfort, and absolute certainty. His self-denying self-sacrificial love for you has liberated you to . II. Live Spirit-Filled Lives By Thanking God and Submitting to Each Other. (18b-21) 18b. but be filled with the Spirit, 19addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with all your heart, 20giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, 21submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ. In the conclusion to his explanation of the First Article of The Apostles' Creed Dr. Luther stated, ". it is my duty to thank and praise, serve and obey Him." (Ibid. Pages 16 & 109.) God's Holy Law is His outline for you to live a holy love in relationship with Him and all people. It does so by seeking to prevent you from thinking, saying, and doing thoughts, words, and actions that sin against God and others as well as reflecting back to you the stark reality of your sinful thoughts, words, and actions that rebel against God. However, it now takes on new meaning and application. In response to God's full love for you that He demonstrated by Jesus having "redeemed [you], a lost and condemned person, purchased and won [you] from all sins, from death, and from the power of the devil; not with gold or silver, but with His holy, precious blood and with His innocent suffering and death" (Ibid. Pages 16 & 119.) you now seek to obey His Holy Law as a statement of gratitude to Him for such. In the Lutheran Hour Ministries Daily Devotion for July 7, 2008, entitled "Submitting" the author stated, "In spite of our personal preferences, we Christians know we have a duty-a duty to submit to each other out of reverence for the Savior. That is the way we live as family members; it is the way we act as citizens in our communities and countries. "In doing so, we are only reflecting in a very small way the way the Savior lived. As God's Son, He could have demanded respect, authority, worship. Instead, Jesus humbled Himself and became obedient-obedient in His life, His suffering, and death. Because He submitted to His Father's plan of salvation, we who believe are washed of our sins and promised life eternal." (LHM Daily Devotions Ref: LHM0009830A-0018222#; 1997-2008 Lutheran Hour Ministries. All rights reserved. Lutheran Hour Ministries, St. Louis, MO.) Following our Savior's example, we now submit to one another when we place the wellbeing and desires of spouse, parent, child, sibling, or anyone else ahead of our own wellbeing and desires. That's what makes for healthy permanent relationships, especially marriages. You see, "What is being asked in this table of duties [that follows today's Epistle Reading], as it is often called, is something that only the Christian, moved by the Holy Spirit can do. Only the Christian knows the proper thing to do, and only the Christian is truly motivated to do it." (Armin J. Panning. Page 202.) In other words, "The love toward God and Christ which rules in the hearts of believers naturally finds its expression in a life of service toward their neighbor. The interests of the other are considered on the same level as one's own . all out of reverence for Christ, who did not come to be ministered unto, but to minister." (Paul E. Kretzmann. Page 286.) Hey, it's all about Spirit-guided living the Second Table of The Ten Commandments . Commandments 4-10, that Jesus summarized when He said, "Love your neighbor as yourself." (Matt 22:39 ESV) After all, when you "love [y]our neighbor as [y]ourselves and show this love by keeping the commandments of the Second Table" (Luther's Small Catechism with Explanation. Page 73) you are thereby loving God Himself, who Himself loved you so much that He gave Himself up for you through the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Ultimately, then, "Christ was [your] substitute. He took [your] place under God's judgment against sin. By paying the penalty of [your] guilt, Christ atoned, or made satisfaction, for [your] sins ([something we call] vicarious atonement)." (Ibid. Page 136.) Martin Luther said it this way, "If faith is correct, then one will in turn act toward his neighbor as he believes that God has acted and does act toward him, that is, out of pure grace. He will forgive him, bear with and be patient with him, lift him out of his misery, give him his own possessions, let him enjoy all he has, deny him nothing at all, put down his body, life, property, and honor for him in the same way that God has done for him." (From sermon for St. John's Day, Dec. 27, Church Postils, 1522. Forthcoming from CPH in a new edition of the Church Postil. The sermon is on the Epistle lesson appointed for the day. Ecclesiasticus 5:1-7.) In conclusion, therefore, remember the devotion that began this sermon? Its completion states, "People say, 'Here we are, confined in hospitals or other institutions-some of us sick, some weakened by advancing age, some in situations where there is no access to resources. What can we do to redeem the time?' "Whatever our circumstances, we can all pray, for ourselves and for others .; do some up-beat, creative, positive thinking-like the psalmist, who meditated on God's Word and wonderful works .; write letters-if not long epistles, then shorter notes that express our appreciation for the good others have done .; have friendly chats with people who feel down and out .; do someone a favor or lend a helping hand .; develop our skills and talents .; [and/or] read. ". Christ's love to us prompts us to make the most of our time." (Rudolph F. Norden. Page 270.) In other words, remain mindful of what we begged in today's Collect, "grant us to know Your Son, Jesus, to be the way, the truth, and the life, that we may steadfastly follow His steps in the way that leads to life eternal."
         In so doing, .
"Stay Vigilantly Alert in These Evil Days."
Today's Introit antiphon summed it up very nicely, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding." (Ps 110:10 ESV) You may have noticed that today's Old Testament Reading contained that same instruction, "[Wisdom] says, ... Leave your simple ways, and live, and walk in the way of insight.' The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight." (Prov 9:4b-6, 10 ESV) And, today's Gradual coupled that instruction with a reassuring promise, "Fear the Lord, you his saints, for those who fear him lack nothing! Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all." (Ps 34:9, 19 ESV)
         So, continue to strive by the Holy Spirit's power to .
I. Live Each and Every Day As Children of Light By Replacing Devil-Deeds With God's Will. (7-18a)
         At the same time, also strive by the same Holy Spirit's power to .
II. Live Spirit-Filled Lives By Thanking God and Submitting to Each Other. (18b-21) Do so always resting on the words of Jesus and Saint Peter in today's Gospel Reading, "'The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.' Simon Peter answered him, '. You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God.'" (St John 6:63b, 68-69 ESV) God grant it all for the sake of Jesus Christ, His humble Son, our holy Savior. [Amen.] In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]