“‘Faith Healing’ in the Biblically-Correct Sense”

In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]

Grace, mercy, and peace to you from God our Father, and from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. [Amen.]

“Lord, who once came to bring, On Your redeeming wing, Healing and sight,
Health to the sick in mind, Sight to the inly blind:
Oh, now to humankind Let there be light!”

(Lutheran Service Book, © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. 979:2)

Gospel Reading................................................................... St. Mark 10:46-52 (esp. 52)

52And Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he recovered his sight and followed him on the way.

Prologue: The following statements appear in the “Faith Healing” section of “The Skeptic’s Dictionary” by Bob Carroll: “When fraud is not involved, faith healing is a cooperative form of magical thinking involving a healer and a patient in which (a) both healer and patient believe in the healing power of spirits or other mysterious healing mechanisms; (b) the healer consciously or unconsciously manipulates the patient into believing he or she has cured the patient’s ailment by prayer, hand movements (to unblock, remove, restore, etc. some intangible ‘energy’), or by some other unconventional ritual or product; and (c) the patient validates the healing by giving signs that the healing has worked, … . When an alleged cure by faith healing occurs in a religious context it is usually called a miracle. Many alleged cures by faith healing have involved fraud, as with Marjoe Gortner and Peter Popoff (Randi 1989: 139-181). Some alleged cures have involved mistaken diagnoses that required no cure at all, much less a miraculous one. Most cases of faith healing need no cure, since most patients will get better even if they receive no treatment at all (Hines 2003). The majority of faith healings are successful because of the cooperation of healer and patient. The faith healer can't lose. Any treatment he or she gives is likely to get a high approval rating. Most patients will validate their treatments. There will be no follow-up, so there will be few bothersome failures.” (http//www.skepdic.com)

Melissa Taylor wrote the following in the conclusion of her class term paper entitled “Faith Healing”: “… I believe that the miracle of faith-healing does exist, but that faith-healing is rare. I believe it is much more of a miracle when people with diseases and health problems can have faith in God and trust Him despite their problems. To me it requires much less faith to believe all of our problems will be whisked away, as if God held a gigantic broom and dust-pan. The truth is that many faith-filled Christians have life-long diseases, even if they have faith enough for God to take them away. Many of these people have used their infirmities to reach out—even if paralyzed like Joni [Eareckson-Tada]—to touch others and to bring them to Christ. To me, the fact that Christians can love Christ despite having debilitating health problems is much more of a miracle than a faith-healing, which only takes a moment—not a lifetime—of faith.” (http://www.angelfire.com/mi/FAST/faithhealing.html)

Ken Collins wrote the following about “Faith Healing” in his website: “When we pray for healing, who must have faith?

“If you have been to many healing services, as I have, you will find that some are showy and tasteless (like the ones you see on television) and others are earnest and deeply moving (like the ones you find in local churches). What most of them seem to have in common is the idea that the sick person has to have faith in order to get well. This is especially emphasized by the flamboyant ‘healers,’ because it is a ready explanation for any of their failures.

“However, in the healing stories of Jesus … it is the faith of the person asking for healing that matters. In the case of the woman, the person requesting healing and the person being healed were the same person, but in the case of Jairus’ daughter, the person being healed was unconscious; unable to have faith or even to know that efforts were being made to heal her.

“If there is healing in response to prayer, we know that it was God’s will to heal, but if there was no healing in response to prayer, the answer isn’t simple.

“We have to give God credit for being smarter and wiser than we are, and we must acknowledge that we cannot always immediately apprehend His designs. Instead of grumbling, like so many Hebrews in the wilderness, at the momentary discomfort caused by an apparent glitch, we must sit and ponder eternal things. How immature to pound our fist upon the table like so many spoiled children and demand what we ask for and demand it now! If such children have a loving Father, they will be denied many things until they learn maturity.

“We must in all things seek His will and submit to it. It may be His will for you to go to the doctor.” (http://www.kencollins.com/worship/pray-03.htm)

And, the American Cancer Society’s website contains the following information: “Faith healing is founded on the belief that certain people or places have the ability to cure and heal—that someone or something can eliminate disease or heal injuries through a close connection to a higher power. Faith healing can involve prayer, a visit to a religious shrine, or simply a strong belief in a supreme being.

“Available scientific evidence does not support claims that faith healing can cure cancer or any other disease. Some scientists suggest that the number of people who attribute their cure to faith healing is lower than the number predicted by calculations based on the historical percentage of spontaneous remissions seen among people with cancer. However, faith healing may promote peace of mind, reduce stress, relieve pain and anxiety, and strengthen the will to live.”

“According to proponents, there is little that faith healing cannot do. Many religious sects claim faith can cure blindness, deafness, cancer, AIDS, developmental disorders, anemia, arthritis, corns, defective speech, multiple sclerosis, skin rashes, total body paralysis, and various injuries. Christian Scientists, for instance, believe that illness is an illusion that can be healed through prayer, either for oneself or by trained practitioners.” (http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/ComplementaryandAlternativeMedicine/MindBodyandSpirit/faith-healing)

Well, there’s certainly much more out there in cyberspace about this mysterious phenomenon, all of which begs Bible-believing, Christ-centered, cross-focused Christians to ask, “Just what is …

“‘Faith Healing’ in the Biblically-Correct Sense”?

The best way to answer this and all other questions about religious and spiritual mysteries is to seek what almighty God Himself has to say about them in His Holy Word, the Bible, instead of reading quasi-spiritual, self-absorbed, emotion-driven, worldview opinions, feelings, and perceptions that mostly just make a lot of money for the authors of the books that such people have written.

Those of you who have faithfully attended the divine services in our setting for the past two-to-three months probably noticed that the Gospel Readings according to Saint Mark have contained a number of miraculous healings by the divine physician Himself, Jesus Christ. In a sense, I got the best of all of them with today’s account that acutely focuses on revealing to us just what “Faith Healing” really is in the Biblically-correct sense. In short, it includes two principles. The first is that …

I. Spirit-Given Faith Purely Prayerfully Cries Out, “Have Mercy on Me, Jesus!” (46-48)

46As [Jesus] was leaving Jericho with his disciples and a great crowd, Bartimaeus, a blind beggar, the son of Timaeus, was sitting by the roadside. 47And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” 48And many rebuked him, telling him to be silent. But he cried out all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”

That simply echoes today’s Introit antiphon, “Out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord! O Lord, hear my voice! Let your ears be attentive to the voice of my pleas for mercy!” (Ps. 130:1-2 ESV) In addition, today’s Collect emphasized it with the prayerful plea to God, “… have mercy on us and give us eyes of faith to see Your Son that we may follow Him on the way that leads to eternal life … .”

That two-word phrase “have mercy” appears many times in the English Standard Version of the Holy Bible. However, the word “mercy” itself appears many additional times in the Old and New Testaments of the ESV. It’s a word that expresses deep, sincere, heartfelt compassion.

In Divine Service Setting I, that’s guiding our worship today, we beg “Lord, have mercy” four times in the “Kyrie” and “have mercy on us” once in the “Gloria in Excelsis” and twice in the “Agnus Dei” of the “Service of the Sacrament.” Also, the word “mercy” itself appears at another two places. (Lutheran Service Book. Pages 151-154, 161, 163.) In addition, “Lord, have mercy” is the response to each petition in today’s Prayer of the Church.

The word “mercy” is sometimes used interchangeably with “grace.” However, there’s a distinct difference between the two. “Mercy” pleads to purge away something unpleasant that we deserve such as God’s temporal wrath and eternal punishment. On the other hand, “grace” begs to receive something pleasant that we don’t deserve such as God’s gifts of forgiveness, salvation, and eternal life.

So, where does all that lead us in the search to know what genuine “Faith Healing” really is? Today’s Epistle Reading answered that when it said, “… [Jesus] is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.” (Heb 7:25 ESV) That word “save” means to restore both body and soul to wholeness and holiness, something Jesus gained for us with His sinless life, innocent suffering, crucifixion death, and victorious resurrection from the dead.

Therefore, God reveals in His Holy Word that Spirit-given faith trustingly looks to the divine Healer Himself for healing. It believes that He has the power to do so and, therefore, prayerfully begs Him to remove what’s unpleasant due to our sin-brokenness. In light of that, we recognize that proper prayer is at the same time unconditional and conditional. It’s unconditional in that we don’t demand when, where, and how to be healed. And, it’s conditional in that we join with Jesus Himself in praying, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.” (St Luke 22:42 ESV) All of that is in the context of realizing that faith does not cause healing to happen; rather, it receives the healing that God promises to give either here in time or, for sure, hereafter in eternity.

Of course, the second principle directly connects with the first one, namely, …

 II.   Jesus Calls You to Himself for Healing. (49-51)

49And Jesus stopped and said, “Call him.” And they called the blind man, saying to him, “Take heart. Get up; he is calling you.” 50And throwing off his cloak, he sprang up and came to Jesus. 51And Jesus said to him, “What do you want me to do for you?” And the blind man said to him, “Rabbi, let me recover my sight.”

Right away I’m reminded of several divine invitation-with-promise passages in Holy Scripture. Take, for instance, “… call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.” (Ps 50:15 ESV); “When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him.” (Ps 91:15 ESV); “Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress.” (Ps 107:6, 19, 28 ESV); and “Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. … Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him … . And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up.” (James 5:13-15 ESV)

Of course, who could ever forget the gracious words from the holy lips of our Savior Himself, “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” (Matt 11:28 ESV) Those words recall to our hearts and minds what Isaiah wrote, “Turn to me and be saved, all the ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other.” (Isa 45:22 ESV)

Jesus Himself assured us of His care, concern, and compassion for us when He told His disciples, “All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.” (John 6:37 ESV) And, near the end of the Book of Revelation we read, “The Spirit and the Bride say, ‘Come.’ And let the one who hears say, ‘Come.’ And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price.” (Rev 22:17 ESV) followed by the last statement of that book just a few verses later, “The grace of the Lord Jesus be with you all. Amen.” (Rev 22:21 ESV)

All such invitations-with-promise lead us to our Savior, who reveals Himself to us in God’s Holy Word, Holy Baptism, Holy Absolution, and Holy Communion. They’re cast in the context of the familiar hymn stanza: “Today Your mercy calls us To wash away our sin. However great our trespass, Whatever we have been, However long from mercy Our hearts have turned away, Your precious blood can wash us And make us clean today.” (Lutheran Service Book. Hymn 915:1) And, how else can we respond than what today’s Gradual expressed, “Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name!” (Ps 103:1)

In conclusion, therefore, the following words from today’s Old Testament Reading concisely summarize this sermon: “Behold, I will bring them from the north country and gather them from the farthest parts of the earth, among them the blind and the lame, the pregnant woman and she who is in labor, together; a great company, they shall return here. With weeping they shall come, and with pleas for mercy I will lead them back, I will make them walk by brooks of water, in a straight path in which they shall not stumble, for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn.” (Jer 31:8-9 ESV) That’s ultimately …

“‘Faith Healing’ in the Biblically-Correct Sense.”

Acting toward His sin-broken creatures in a lovingly fatherly manner, God Himself rescues mankind and will restore all who believe in Him to wholeness and holiness of body and soul. Of course, in this particular instance, it’s a no-brainer that “The desire of any blind man is to receive sight, but in this case the statement of that desire implied faith in Jesus’ ability to give sight.” (Donald Guthrie in Jesus the Messiah: An Illustrated Life of Christ. Copyright © 1972 by The Zondervan Corporation, Grand Rapids, MI. Page 260.)

However, in this situation “Jesus commended the blind man’s faith. It was not a shallow, temporary emotion. He followed Jesus along the road. That road led to Jerusalem, to the cross, and to the open tomb. Bartimaeus’ persistence and his faith are a model for our own prayer life.” (Harold E. Wicke in People’s Bible Commentary: Mark. Copyright © Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Page 151.)

Perhaps the real lesson to learn is that “In the Kingdom of God conditions are quite different from the situation as we find it in the kingdoms of this world. In the world-kingdoms man achieves greatness at the expense of his inferiors and by making his will a law unto others. But in the Kingdom of God we shall be the followers of Jesus.” (Joh. Ylvisaker in The Gospels: A Synoptic Presentation of the Text in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John with explanatory notes. Copyright © 1932 Augsburg Publishing House, Minneapolis, MN. Page 530.)

         So, realize that you do that when your …

I. Spirit-Given Faith Purely Prayerfully Cries Out, “Have Mercy on Me, Jesus!” (46-48)

and, by the power of the Holy Spirit, respond obediently when …

 II.   Jesus Calls You to Himself for Healing. (49-51)

God grant it all for the sake of Jesus Christ, His humble Son, our holy Savior. [Amen.]

In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]