The Fourth Sunday of Easter
R. I. P.

Christ is risen! (He is risen indeed!) Alleluia! Grace, mercy, and peace to you
from God our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ! Amen. In today’s Gospel, Jesus
your Good Shepherd so earnestly wants you to know something that He says it to
you twice. First Jesus speaks with regard to Himself, and then He speaks again
with regard to the heavenly Father, both His Father and yours. What does Jesus
want you to know? Jesus wants you to know that “No one will snatch [you] out of
[His] hand.” Then Jesus repeats, “My Father, who has given them to Me, is
greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.”

Dear Christian friends,

What comes to mind for you when you hear the initials R.I.P? Many people think
of cemetery headstones. They take the initials R.I.P. to mean “Rest in Peace”
(from the Latin, requiescat in pace), and from ancient times we Christians have
used these initials in reference to our beloved dead.

Jesus wants you to know in today’s Gospel that the initials R.I.P. are not
merely good initials to decorate our cemetery headstones. These same
initials—R.I.P., “Rest in Peace”—these same initials would be well placed upon
the headboards above our beds! The words “Rest in Peace” make a very good
slogan, not just for our beloved dead, but also for our dear loved ones who are
yet alive, and “Rest in Peace” makes a good slogan even for ourselves. Each
night before your household heads off to sleep, you could say to each of them,
“Rest in Peace.” Each night as you lay your head upon your own pillow, you can
confidently say to yourself, “Rest in Peace.”

Why can you rest in security and peace, each and every night of your earthly
life? Because Jesus promises you in today’s Gospel, “No one will snatch [you]
out of [His] hand.” So important is this news for you and for your loved ones
that Jesus immediately repeats Himself, for your assurance and your comfort:
“My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all, and no one is able
to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.”

There is hardly a better Gospel for us Christians to hear in our worship at
this particular moment in the history of the world, here the Fourth Sunday of
Easter, April 18, 2013. There are several reasons why today is the perfect day
for us to hear the Word and promise of Jesus in today’s Gospel, “No one will
snatch [you] out of My hand.” Why today’s Gospel is so well-suited for us today?

•       The first reason is our Church Year. Today is the Fourth Sunday of
Easter. Stated another way, today marks the fourth week that we Christians
rejoice, Christ is risen! (He is risen indeed!) Alleluia! The Fourth Sunday of
Easter is also called “Good Shepherd Sunday.” By His death and resurrection,
Jesus our Good Shepherd has faced and defeated every enemy that would hunt or
destroy His beloved flock. Now in the power of His resurrection, Jesus in
today’s Gospel speaks an oath to you and to every Christian: “No one will
snatch [you] out of My hand.” Death has lost its grip upon you; sin has lost
its power over you; the devil no longer has any teeth to sink into you; no
force of nature is now able to overwhelm you—and this is all because Christ is
risen! (He is risen indeed!) Alleluia! And the risen Christ is now your Good
Shepherd, faithfully leading you by day and securely keeping you by night. Rest
in Peace!

•       There is a second reason why today’s Gospel is well-suited for this
day. Today is not only the Fourth Sunday of Easter, but it is also April 21,
2013. Stated another way, today is the first Sunday after the tragedy of the
Boston Marathon. Such terrible occurrences among us do not effect only those
people who were there, or only their family and friends. Such terrible
occurrences have an effect upon all of us. When you first heard the news
earlier this week, what thoughts went through your head? My first thought was a
date: September 11, 2001. Then I immediately wondered which city—one nearer to
me—would be next. Later that same day, as I pulled the car into a parking lot,
I noticed a soda bottle on the ground, right in the spot where I was to park.
Almost unconsciously, I heard myself wonder in the back of my head, “Is that
bottle filled with explosive?” That question is really just another way of
asking, “Am I next?”

The tragedy Boston Marathon makes today’s Gospel is so very good for today
because Christ is risen! (He is risen indeed!) Alleluia! All our national
tragedies make today’s Gospel a good Gospel for us, because here Jesus pledges
Himself to our safety and protection, now and forever. Jesus is speaking about
YOU when He says here today,

My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. I give them
eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of My
hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all, and no one is
able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one.

Rest in peace, Christians! Every night when you go to sleep, rest in peace!
Christ is risen! (He is risen indeed!) Alleluia! Because Christ has risen, you
stand in the rubble of civilization and you can sing with confidence and joy,

Teach me to live that I may dread
The grave as little as my bed (LSB 883.3)

•       But Boston is 1352 miles away from Versailles. For all the rawness of
the tragedy, its deep emotional impact will eventually fade. Before too long,
the Boston Marathon will be tucked into the backs of our minds, right next to
the World Trade Center. Stated another way, the Marathon will always be an
outrage and heartbreak, but it will not always be in the center of the
dashboard. Many other things—closer and more intimate things—will persist for
you and for me, and these things will continue to occupy our minds. Whatever it
is that keeps you awake at night—that also makes today’s Gospel a good Gospel!
Whatever preoccupies you; whatever causes you to fear the present or dread the
future; whatever you must watch your dear loved one experience: these things
also make today’s Gospel a very good Gospel! Christ is risen! (He is risen
indeed!) Alleluia! Your risen Christ says to you today, in view of those things
that keep you awake at night,
 “No one will snatch [you] out of My hand.” Your risen Christ so earnestly
wants you to know and to believe this, that He patiently repeats Himself to
you, pointing to the Father in heaven, both His Father and yours: “My Father,
who has given them to Me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch
them out of the Father’s hand.”

What do these Words mean for you? These Words mean that you can now Rest in
Peace. You can Rest in Peace right now, because you dwell in safety and
security in the power of Christ’s resurrection. Kiss kiss. Sleep well.