The Seventeenth Sunday after
Pentecost

One Sinner
Who Is Repenting

Grace, mercy and peace to
you from God our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ! Amen. There are two things
you need to know right away about today’s Gospel:

·        First, when Jesus speaks about “one sinner who repents,” He is talking
about
you personally.

·        Second, when Jesus speaks the word “repent” in this Gospel, He is
using a word
form that indicates ongoing action. Really, Jesus describes you in today’s
Gospel as “one sinner who is continually repenting.”

This is what the Lord says
concerning you:

There will be more joy in heaven before the angels
of God over one sinner who is continually repenting than over ninety-nine
righteous persons who need no repentance.

Dear Christian friends,

Jesus likes to use common,
everyday Words when He speaks to us. Jesus likes common Words because He wants
us to understand His thoughts and know His ways. Today’s Gospel is a good
example
of our Lord’s simple speech. We may not have many shepherds in the congregation,
but every preschooler knows what a sheep is. So, too, with the coin: who among
us has not felt that surge of urgency when we realized we lost some amount of
money? Who would not take time to look for it again? Jesus uses coins and sheep
and other common images because He wants us to understand, and He does not want
us to work too hard in order to do it.

Yet even when Jesus speaks
with such simplicity as you heard in today’s Gospel, we should still be prepared
and ready for two things:

·        First, we should
be ready for Jesus to define His words and phrases in any manner that He
pleases. For example, when Jesus speaks about “righteous persons” in today’s
Gospel, He might not be defining the
phrase “righteous person” in the way
that you define it.

·        Second, we should
always be ready for Jesus to say surprising things to us, things that seem to
be the opposite of the way we naturally think.

Using the common, everyday concepts
of coins and sheep, Jesus has a wonderful surprise for you in today’s Gospel:
Jesus
wants you to know that the angels in heaven rejoice exceedingly over you because
you are “one sinner who is repenting.”

Now I will explain to you
how this is so, that you are the “one
sinner who is repenting” in today’s Gospel.

1. Begin with the unusual and surprising way Jesus
defines the Words and phrases He used in today’s Gospel.

1.a) The first surprise is
that phrase “righteous persons,” where
Jesus speaks about “the ninety-nine
righteous persons who need no repentance.” When you and I think and speak
of “righteous people,” we usually
mean those people who go to church every Sunday to get God’s gift of
righteousness
from Jesus. To be sure, there are many places in God’s Bible that speak of
righteousness
in that manner (for example, Psalm 118:20, Matthew 25:46, and Hebrews 11:4). But
that is not how Jesus uses the phrase “righteous
persons” in today’s Gospel! Jesus turns things upside down in today’s
Gospel. Surprisingly, Jesus uses the phrase “righteous persons” in today’s
Gospel as a way of speaking about
unbelievers, impenitent people, and those who have no desire to hear God’s
Word. How do I know this? Jesus said earlier in St. Luke’s book, “I have not
come to call the righteous, but
sinners to repentance” (Luke 5:32).

What is a “righteous person,” according to the surprising
and unusual way Jesus uses the phrase in today’s Gospel? A “righteous person”
is a person who has no
interest in Jesus; a person who has no sins that need repentance; a person who
does not feel lost and in need of being found. According to the surprising and
unusual way Jesus uses the phrase in today’s Gospel, a “righteous person” is
that person who refuses God’s Word and rejects
His gift of faith. You are not that guy, are you?

1.b) Jesus also speaks in a
surprising and unusual manner when He describes you and me as lost sheep and
lost coins. Generally, you and I think of “the
lost” as those who are still outside the church, those who have not yet
been gathered into Christ’s salvation. We generally think of “the lost” as
unbelievers. Jesus turns things
upside down in today’s Gospel. In an unusual, even surprising manner, Jesus
defines the lost in today’s Gospel as those who need Jesus, those who gather in
the presence of the Lord, those who want to hear Jesus’ Words. After all, what
prompted Jesus to tell the two parables we have here? The first sentence of
today’s
Gospel: “Now the tax collectors and
sinners were all DRAWING NEAR TO HEAR JESUS.”

2. Knowing the surprising way Jesus defines things for
you in today’s Gospel, listen again to what Jesus says for your comfort and joy:

What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has
lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go
after the one that is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he
lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together
his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, “Rejoice with me, for I have
found my sheep that was lost.” Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in
heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who
need no repentance.

Or what woman, having ten silver coins, if she loses
one coin, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and seek diligently until
she finds it? And when she has found it, she calls together her friends and
neighbors, saying, “Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin that I had lost.”
Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who
repents.

Understand from today’s
Gospel the diligence and faithfulness of your Lord! By turning things upside
down—by calling you and all His Christians “lost sheep” and “lost coins”—Jesus
NOT
condemning you and He is NOT calling you unbelievers. By turning things upside
down—by calling you and all His Christians “lost sheep” and “lost coins”—Jesus
is
putting you into a position to see what He continually does for you through His
grace and by His mercy. According to today’s Gospel,

·        Jesus is your
Good Shepherd who rejoices to carry you upon His shoulders and who feels great
delight
that He has now found you and gathered you safely in. Jesus commands His angels
concerning you, “Rejoice with Me, for I
have found My sheep that was lost.”

·        Jesus is a careful
and painstaking woman who happily finds you laying helplessly in the dust, who
sweeps through sand in His earnestness to have you, and who attaches great value
to you. “Rejoice with Me,” says the
Lord to His heavenly host, “for I have
found the coin that I had lost.”

Take comfort in these
Words, Christians! Return frequently to these Words! Each day as you rise and
go your way, thank your Father in heaven that you ride continually upon the
strong and broad shoulder of Christ, your Good Shepherd. As you heard Jesus
explain
in today’s Gospel, “When He has found His
Sheep, He lays it on His shoulders.” Each night as you lay down to rest,
know that you sleep securely in the coin-purse of your Lord, who has diligently
sought and found you through the light of His Word. Thus says the Lord, “I have
not come to call the righteous, but
sinners—that is, lost sheep and lost coins—to repentance” (Luke 5:32). Be
glad, therefore, that you are a sinner in need of repentance. Your sinfulness
is good and faithful proof that Jesus came for you!

3. We still have one final horse to hook up to the
cart. When Jesus speaks the word “repent”
in today’s Gospel, He is using a word form that indicates ongoing action.
Really,
Jesus describes you in today’s Gospel as “one sinner who is continually
repenting.”

Jesus makes this Gospel
more beautiful for us by letting us know that we shall never escape our
sinfulness, so long as mortal life endures. In the very moment that you and I
stop being sinners, we likewise in that very same moment stop needing Jesus.
Stated
another way, in the moment that we stop sinning, we become “righteous persons
who need no repentance.”
That is why our Lord so graciously says in today’s Gospel that you and I are
both “sinners who are continually repenting.”
It is a good and blessed thing to be “one
sinner who is continually repenting” because hell is full of “righteous persons
who need no repentance.”

Rejoice in your sinfulness,
Christian! Gladly take your place among “the
tax collectors and sinners who were all drawing near to hear Jesus.” There
is no better place to be! Jesus says today concerning, now that He has found
you and gathered you in: