Intro
How do you receive your gifts?  Sometimes, we receive gifts with
disappointment.  It’s not what we wanted.  It’s not what we needed.  It’s not
the right gift.  It’s not big enough or good enough.

So, what’s it like when it comes to receiving the gifts of God?  Our Gospel
reading for today shows us how to receive what God has to give, which will help
move us to be thankful gift-receivers.

Main Body
In our text, we see ten gift-receivers.  And what a gift they received--Jesus
had healed them of their leprosy!  In those days, leprosy was a living death.
It was like your body beginning to decay while you were still alive.  You were
segregated to live in a colony with other lepers, removed from normal society.
If anyone approached, you had to cry out, “Unclean!  Unclean!” so they wouldn’t
come near you.  You had to live among the living dead until you died.

But what a gift those ten lepers received!   Jesus had healed them of their
leprosy.   Clearly, they had heard about Jesus and the miracles He had done,
and so they believed He had the power to heal them.   That was why they
approached Him and cried out from a distance, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on
us.”

And Jesus did have mercy on them.   “Go and show yourselves to the priests,” He
said.   That’s how they would be declared healed, and could return to society.
 And while they were making their way to the priests, they saw that they no
longer had leprosy.   So nine of them went on to be declared healed by the
priests, and their story ended with their healing.   That’s all they received
from Jesus.

But one, when he saw that he was healed, took a detour.   He returned, praising
God, falling on his face at Jesus’ feet, and giving Him thanks.   He was a
Samaritan.

Jesus comments on how the ten reacted: “Were not ten cleansed?  Where are the
other nine?”  Then He said to the one: “Rise and go.  Your faith has made you
well.”   It sounds as if there’s some exasperation in Jesus’ comments, doesn’t
it?  After all, He wasn’t through giving--but only one returned to receive all
that Jesus had to give!

Like these ten lepers, we also have faith in Jesus’ miraculous power.   We know
that God can heal us.  He can heal us miraculously.  Or He can heal us as He
usually does--through doctors and nurses and the immune response that He has
placed in our bodies.  The Old-Testament Apocrypha book of Sirach tells us,
“Honor the doctor according to your need of him.”  It even goes on to say, “The
Lord created medicines from the earth and a sensible man will not ignore them”
(Sirach 38:1, 4).

We know that Jesus can heal us.   We ask Him to do it.   And when He does it,
we are thankful.

But what if He doesn’t?  What if His help comes slower than we would like?
Then our gratitude begins to falter.   We get impatient, perhaps even angry at
God.   “What did I do to deserve this,” we ask ourselves.  And we answer,
“Nothing!”

We think, “I’m a Christian.  I’m a church member.  I’ve done a lot for God.”
We may not be so arrogant to say it out loud, but we might think it.  We think,
“God owes me!  I’ve done my part, and now it’s time for Him to do His part.”
By now thanksgiving and gratitude are dead and gone.   That is our sin.

But let’s delve deeper into this problem of our sin--and the leper who returned
to praise God and give thanks will help us do that.   No doubt, he saw his
leprosy as something more than his leprous body.  His cry, “Jesus, Master, have
mercy on me,” was also a cry for an answer to a deeper need.  Jesus saw that
deeper need and healed it.  “Your faith has made you well.”  A better
translation would be, “Your faith has saved you.”

Grab onto that word “saved.”   That leper received all that Jesus had to give.
And as he realized a need deeper than just physical healing, so also should we.
 Let’s call it the leprosy of the soul, the spirit, the inner self.  It’s the
leprosy of sin.  Just like physical leprosy, it disfigures life.

How do we see this in our lives?  We see the lack of love and selfishness
splinter marriages and family life.  Healthy competition at work or in school
becomes a dog-eat-dog scramble over the backs of others to be first.  Our
tongues become razor sharp as they cut down others with gossip.  We speak
loveless criticisms, half-truths, or even outright lies--if that would benefit
us.  And that’s just a brief glimpse of what spiritual leprosy looks like on
the outside.

Now, take a look inside.  You find lust, hatred, envy, greed, pride, and
self-righteousness.  Even as Christians we see some of this somewhere in our
lives.  That’s the leprosy of sin.

Like the leper colony of Jesus’ day, this leprosy isolates us, separates us
from others.  Sin builds walls between people, breaks relationships in
marriage, family, among neighbors, and among friends.  Worst of all, it keeps
us from having an intimate communion with God, especially in eternity.  That’s
the worst leprosy of sin--to have your sins stuck to you forever and enduring
an eternity based on what you deserve, not on what God wants to give you.

I have Jesus’ life-giving words for you.   It’s in those words of Jesus, “Your
faith has saved you.”  Let’s unpack that word, “saved.”  Jesus is in that word,
“saved.”  His cross is in that word, “saved.”  What happened on His cross of
death is in that word, “saved.”  Healing for our sin-leprosy is in that word,
“saved.”

Isaiah tells us how, “He [Jesus] was pierced because of our rebellious deeds
and crushed because of our sins.  He endured the punishment that made us whole,
and by his wounds we are healed” (Isaiah 53:5).

Here are Jesus’ life-giving words in another word from God, “Get up, be
baptized and wash away your sins” (Acts 22:16).  Here’s another, “The blood of
Jesus … cleanses us from all sin” (1 John 1:7).  It’s like coming in after a
hot, sweaty, sticky, dirty summer day and taking a refreshing shower.  It’s
wonderful to feel fresh and clean.

God makes you fresh and clean deep down inside.  God’s forgiveness washes you,
cleanses you, and makes you clean from all your sin.  How clean are you?  A
prayer that King David prayed tells us: “Wash me, and I will be whiter than
snow” (Psalm 51:7).  That healing, cleansing, and forgiveness is the source of
your thanksgiving.

Now you have what God has to give you, for to see your need is even a gift from
God.  To trust that He has the power to help you is a gift.  To be clean from
sin is the supreme gift.  And God enables true thanksgiving to rise from a
heart full of His gifts.

Yes, sometimes it seems like some of God’s gifts are missing.  Sometimes, He
doesn’t take a problem from us.  The Apostle Paul, in his letter to the Romans,
talked about some distresses in life that God didn’t always take away or heal.
He mentioned affliction and anguish, persecution and famine, and nakedness,
danger and sword (Romans 8:35).

You could add to that list some problems that are up close and personal in your
life.  Will problems like that kill your thanksgiving?  It will--if deliverance
from those problems is all you’re looking for from God.  Will problems like
that kill your thanksgiving?   It won’t--if you receive all that God has to
give, for the Apostle Paul goes on to say that none of that can separate you
from the love of God in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:39).

Unwrap God’s love and you find, not only a Father who cares for His children in
all their cares and burdens, but you will also find forgiveness, peace with
God, and a joy-filled eternity.  Those are God’s crowning gifts.  When you have
them, then you know that everything else you need will be there, exactly where,
when, and how God knows you need them.

So give thanks for family, health, money, pleasure, and all the other good
happenings in your life.  Give thanks even when life isn’t going so well.  Why?
 It’s because you know that God is with you.  You know that He will keep you
going where He is leading you.  And that direction is never wrong, especially
from an eternal perspective!

Give thanks most of all because your heart is clean and pure in God’s
forgiveness.  That’s the best God has to give, and you have it!  A Christian’s
true thanksgiving always centers itself in Christ.

Let’s again hear some words from the Apostle Paul:

I consider everything worthless compared with the far greater value of knowing
Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have lost everything.  I consider them filth
to gain Christ and be found in him.  In him, I have a righteousness that is not
my own, which comes from the law.  Instead, I have that righteousness through
faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God based on Christ’s
faithfulness [Philippians 3:8-9].

The leper’s thanksgiving flowed from that same source, and ours does, too!

Conclusion
How do you receive your gifts?   You receive them thankfully when you come with
empty hands, when you come with the plea, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on me.”
It’s then that you come ready to receive all that God has to give.  And into
our emptiness, God pours the fullness of His gifts.  Amen.

--
Rich Futrell, Pastor
Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church, Kimberling City, MO

Where we receive and confess the faith of the Church (in and with the Augsburg
Confession): The faith once delivered to the saints, the faith of Christ Jesus,
His Word of the Gospel, His full forgiveness of sins, His flesh and blood given
and poured out for us, and His gracious gift of life for body, soul, and
spirit.