2013
Advent Midweek Worship: The Trinity in Advent

The Grace of the Lord Jesus
Christ

Grace, mercy and peace
to you from God our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ! Amen. Our Advent midweek
worship will focus upon that blessing written by God’s apostle Paul, which you
can see on the cover of your bulletin,  “the Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the Love
of God and the Fellowship of the Holy Spirit are among you all” (2
Corinthians 13:14).

We should think of
these Words as God’s New Testament explanation or elaboration of that earlier
blessing He spoke through Aaron the Priest, which blessing you know well and
regularly hear at the end of worship:

The
LORD bless you and keep you, the Lord make His face shine upon you and be
gracious to you, the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace
(Numbers 6:24-26).

When Aaron the Priest
spoke this earlier blessing upon the people of God, the living, creative Name
of God was quite literally laid upon the people (Numbers 6:27). Through the
speaking of Words, God’s name became the people’s clothing, so to speak, and
their identity. Through Aaron’s blessing, God’s name enveloped the people and
wrapped itself around them, so that they were in, with and under the eternal
name of God and all its power.

Paul’s blessing does the same thing for us. That is
to say, you should believe that, when you hear the Words, “the Grace of our
Lord Jesus Christ,” these Words indicate that our
Lord’s grace is quite literally and personally yours, coming upon you and
wrapping
around you, beneath and above you.

Why is this important? It is important because of
that first Word in the blessing, GRACE. “The
grace of our Lord Jesus Christ… is among you all.” GRACE means the wrath of our
Lord Jesus Christ is
NOT with any of you, even though each and every one of us deserves nothing but
wrath and punishment on account of our sins. Grace is the opposite of wrath.
Grace indicates a favorable disposition. Synonyms for grace include such words
as kindness, favor, mercy, benevolence, and clemency. Grace not only indicates
God’s attitude toward you on account of Christ, but Paul’s blessing also
announces
that God’s grace has come very near to you—so near that it rests on your head
and touches your skin and fills the space all around you. “The grace of our
Lord Jesus Christ…” is the bubble wrap that your
Lord has used to insulate you against every accusation and indictment that your
ancient enemy, the devil, might bring against you.

Grace is what moved our Lord to

·        become
incarnate among us, born of the Virgin Mary. By His grace, our Lord Jesus
Christ did not consider our estate and condition too far beneath Him, but He
humbled Himself into our nothingness, for our salvation. You might say that,
while His grace envelops us, the wrath we deserve enveloped Him and drove Him
to the cross.

·        suffer
under Pontius Pilate without complaint, to die, and to be buried, thus burying
eternally all our sin and guilt and rebellion against God.

·        rise
from the dead and later to ascend, thus filling all things.

·        come
to us here and now by the power of His spoken Word. Grace so inhabits that Word
that we each may rest peacefully every night with “a pure heart and a clear
conscience and a sincere
faith” (1 Timothy
1:5).

It might seem strange to you that Paul begins his
blessing with “The grace of our Lord
Jesus Christ.” This
might seem strange because we normally think of the Father as the first person
of the Trinity. Because of this, it would perhaps seem more natural to begin
this blessing with the Love of God. But Paul’s blessing begins with the Second
Person of the Trinity, “The grace of
our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Paul has done this because our Lord Jesus is that one person of the Trinity who
makes the others known. The only way we know about our dear Father is the
presence of the Son among us. (Where there is a Son, there must be a Father.)
So too, the only knowledge we have of the Holy Spirit is through that knowledge
which God the Son has given. All this simply means is that, when we want to see
God, we must look at our Lord Jesus. And Jesus is a good place for us to look,
because Jesus abounds and overflows with grace. That grace is now yours. It has
been laid upon you. It is all around you and it will not let you go.