Holy Christmas Day

Infinite in Mercy,
Finite in Form

Grace,
mercy, and peace to you from God our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ, whose
birth we rejoice this day! Amen. In today’s Gospel, “the shepherds went with
haste and found… the baby lying in a manger.”

Dear
Christian friends,

The Scriptures make it clear that our God is
infinite in every way. Every individual part of God—every single attribute of
God—is infinite, that is, without limitation, beyond all quantification,
equally possessing no beginning and no end. Thus it is written, “Oh, the depth
of the riches and wisdom and
knowledge of God, how unsearchable His judgments and His paths beyond tracing
out! (Romans 11:33). And again, “His
tender mercies extend over all His works” (Psalm 145:9) and yet again, “from
everlasting to everlasting, You are God”
(Psalm 90:2).

Here in today’s Gospel we have a group of shepherds
encircling a manger and staring at a baby. This is Mary’s firstborn son, but
that is not all! This is the one of whom the angel said, “The Son of Most High”
(Luke 1:32) and again, “of His kingdom there will be no end” (Luke 1:33). This
is God
eternal, God limitless, God unbound and uncontainable—now contained, bound,
limited by the confines of your human body, tightly wrapped in strips of cloth
and lying in a manger. He who regards a day to be like a thousand years and a
thousand years to be like a day (2 Peter 3:8) now takes a definite beginning so
that He might labor and journey toward a blood-filled end (John 19:34).

“The shepherds
went with haste and found… the baby lying in a manger.” Stated another way,
the shepherds found the infinite God now packaged in a finite form. With one
eyeful, the shepherds could see in His entirety everything that God is, now
that God has “made Himself nothing”
(Philippians 2:7). “The exact imprint of
the divine nature” now suckles helplessly at His mother’s breast. “The radiance
of the glory of God”
(Hebrew 1:3) now ingloriously fills a diaper while an umbilical cord dies and
dries upon His belly.

Yet
our God is not satisfied with ancient history, as if His presence among us
ended with the birth and death, the resurrection and ascension of our Lord. God
teaches us in His Scriptures to look upon the Word and the Holy Baptism and the
Holy Communion with the same eyes by which the shepherds beheld the manger of
our Lord. Water and Words, bread and wine, these gifts bring us no less of our
Christ than what the shepherds could see with their eyes and hold in their own
arms. As the manger held salvation forth to the shepherds, God’s Word and
Baptism
and Communion likewise hold salvation forth for us.

It
would be impossible for us to arrive at a good understand of preaching and of
sacrament without this holy Christmas feast, and without shepherds finding “the
baby lying in a manger.” But here we
are: infinite God in a finite form.

·        Where
the Word is, there the Christ speaks, not a mere portion of His mercy, but the
full scope of God’s mercy, unlimited and overflowing for you.

·        Where
Baptism pours forth, there Christ our Rock (1 Corinthians 10:4) stands
immovable,
thus making you, not partial participants, but full participants and members
and citizens of His heavenly Kingdom.

·        Where
the body and blood of Christ is served from the altar, there the risen, the
limitless, and the infinite Christ comes to us, inhabiting a form that we can
see and touch and place upon the lip.

If this not cause for wonder and great joy, there is
none! “The shepherds went with haste and
found… the baby lying in a manger.” For as many years as we have repeatedly
heard this blessed Gospel of Christmas, should we not continue to feel
astounded by what our God has done, and even continues to do in our midst?

Merry Christmas, Christians! The peace of God which
passes all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Amen.