A very breif sermon for an evening service filled with readings and hymns.

Holy Epiphany (Observed)

Take a Bow

Grace,
mercy, and peace to you from God our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ! Amen. In
tonight’s Gospel, the wise men “saw the
child with Mary His mother, and they fell down and worshiped Him.”

Dear
Christian friends,

Bowing
is a sign of servitude. Bowing is how someone of a low position would act in
the presence of someone in a high position. We Christians often bow when
approaching the Holy Communion. We do not bow because we must. We bow on
account of the respect and honor we hold for our God’s presence in our midst. I
also bow to you in our worship. I do not bow as a theater performer, seeking
applause
or praise. I bow to you in my office of the lower position, as your shepherd (1
Peter 5:2) and steward (1 Corinthians 4:1) and slave (2 Timothy 2:24).

“Going into the house they saw the Child with
Mary His mother, and they fell down and worshiped Him.” The wise men did
not bow sweepingly, as if they were actors feigning humility on stage. The wise
men did not straighten to attention and smartly nod their heads in an effort to
keep some personal dignity. The wise men dropped onto their palms and their
bellies
and their knees. They faced the floor in the presence of their King. In so
bowing before the Child, the wise men abandoned their dignity, their honor,
their intellect, their position, their kingdoms and their thrones. They made
claim to nothing. They placed themselves in the presence their Lord as men of
low position and servitude.

These
men have chosen a good Man to bow before. The wise men do for the Child Jesus
what
the Child Jesus has already done for them. What has Jesus done? Our dear Lord
Jesus made Himself a servant in order that we may be elevated to the position
of lord. Seated there in the house, Jesus had already abandoned His divine
dignity,
honor, knowledge, position, kingdom and throne. “They fell down and worshiped
Him” but our Lord has already bowed Himself
before them—before you and before me. Jesus does not bow because He must. He
bows so that He may be God in our midst.