*Scripture: Isaiah 52:13—54:10 (NKJV)*

52:13 Behold, My Servant shall deal prudently; He shall be exalted and
extolled and be very high. 14 Just as many were astonished at you, so His
visage was marred more than any man, and His form more than the sons of
men; 15 So shall He sprinkle many nations. Kings shall shut their mouths at
Him; For what had not been told them they shall see, and what they had not
heard they shall consider.

53:1 Who has believed our report? And to whom has the arm of the LORD been
revealed? 2 For He shall grow up before Him as a tender plant, and as a
root out of dry ground. He has no form or comeliness; And when we see Him,
there is no beauty that we should desire Him. 3 He is despised and rejected
by men, a Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were,
our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him. 4 Surely He
has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; Yet we esteemed Him stricken,
smitten by God, and afflicted. 5 But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon
Him, and by His stripes we are healed. 6 All we like sheep have gone
astray; We have turned, every one, to his own way; And the LORD has laid on
Him the iniquity of us all. 7 He was oppressed and He was afflicted, yet He
opened not His mouth; He was led as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep
before its shearers is silent, so He opened not His mouth. 8 He was taken
from prison and from judgment, and who will declare His generation? For He
was cut off from the land of the living; For the transgressions of My
people He was stricken. 9 And they made His grave with the wicked—but with
the rich at His death, because He had done no violence, nor was any deceit
in His mouth. 10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise Him; He has put Him to
grief. When You make His soul an offering for sin, He shall see His seed,
He shall prolong His days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in
His hand. 11 He shall see the labor of His soul, and be satisfied. By His
knowledge My righteous Servant shall justify many, for He shall bear their
iniquities. 12 Therefore I will divide Him a portion with the great, and He
shall divide the spoil with the strong, because He poured out His soul unto
death, and He was numbered with the transgressors, and He bore the sin of
many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

54:1 "Sing, O barren, you who have not borne! Break forth into singing, and
cry aloud, you who have not labored with child! For more are the children
of the desolate than the children of the married woman," says the LORD. 2
"Enlarge the place of your tent, and let them stretch out the curtains of
your dwellings; Do not spare; Lengthen your cords, and strengthen your
stakes. 3 For you shall expand to the right and to the left, and your
descendants will inherit the nations, and make the desolate cities
inhabited.

4 "Do not fear, for you will not be ashamed; Neither be disgraced, for you
will not be put to shame; For you will forget the shame of your youth, and
will not remember the reproach of your widowhood anymore. 5 For your Maker
is your husband, the LORD of hosts is His name; And your Redeemer is the
Holy One of Israel; He is called the God of the whole earth. 6 For the LORD
has called you Like a woman forsaken and grieved in spirit, like a youthful
wife when you were refused," says your God. 7 "For a mere moment I have
forsaken you, but with great mercies I will gather you. 8 With a little
wrath I hid My face from you for a moment; But with everlasting kindness I
will have mercy on you," says the LORD, your Redeemer.

9 "For this is like the waters of Noah to Me; For as I have sworn that the
waters of Noah would no longer cover the earth, so have I sworn that I
would not be angry with you, nor rebuke you. 10 For the mountains shall
depart and the hills be removed, but My kindness shall not depart from you,
nor shall My covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, Who has mercy on
you.

*Devotion*

Today's reading depicts the manner in which the King and Savior sets man
free from sin, death, and the devil: by being a servant, Who sacrifices His
life so that mankind might live for all eternity. Yes, Jesus is a King like
no other King and Savior! Isaiah writes, "Behold, My Servant shall deal
prudently; He shall be exalted and extolled and be very high." Luther says,
"He shall prosper, be exalted and lifted up," meaning, His reign does not
begin until after His death.

Yes, we've just celebrated another Christmas remembering the prophesied
Jesus born in a manger, yet remembering, He was born the God/man in order
that He might die. No, not everyone believes this report! But for those who
by faith believe in the Word made flesh are able to rejoice in knowing that
a great and marvelous sacrifice has been made for them to live in eternity.

Yes, it is a bittersweet to rejoice each year at the birth of Christ, and
yet hear the descriptive suffering and agony as described by Isaiah; and
yet we know it was necessary that sin was atoned for by Christ; because
mankind does not exist without the sin.

Tomorrow we enter into His presence on yet another Sabbath and receive the
Word made flesh in Word and Sacrament as our celebration continues.

Let us pray: O'er every foe victorious, He on His throne shall rest, from
age to age more glorious, all blessing and all-blest. The tide of time
shall never His covenant remove; His Name shall stand forever,—that name to
us is Love. Amen.