The Second Sunday After the Epiphany

Behold!

Grace,
mercy, and peace to you from God our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ! Amen. In
today’s Gospel, John points to Jesus and declares, “Behold the Lamb of God who
takes away the sin of the world.”

Dear Christian friends,

In what way do your sins and regrets interact with
you? Do they sleep quietly in your past, or do they still visit you, making
themselves repeatedly known to you?

·        For
some Christians, the memory of an evil past haunts them on a daily basis.
Certain
events in their personal history bother them more today than when those events
first occurred. The vivid details of regrettable things seem to be painted on
the insides of the eyelid, springing back to life with nearly every blink.

·        Other
Christians have found a way to stuff their sorrows into a closet, so to speak.
Most
of the time, the trauma of memory is safely tucked away, out of sound and
sight. But you know what happens when you pile things into closets and forget
about them. Open the door and everything dumps out on your head. The experience
of remembering your sin might be somewhat comparable to my old friend Otis
Boeck:
The guys at work used to have a mannequin that they liked to hide in a closet
or some other place where they knew Otis was headed. Otis would open the door
and get scared silly. The same thing often happens to me when I unwittingly open
certain closets in my mind: not only do I find things I thought I had hidden,
but they frighten me.

·        Other
Christians walk around with the weight of the world on their shoulders. The
memory of sin and regret has settled like rheumatism into their bones. They
feel so injured by the sorrows of the past that they can barely handle their
existence in the present, much less the thought of the future. A good amount of
depression occurs because of chemical imbalances in the body, but I wonder if
some of the depression we feel in life can be attributed to sorrow over
sin—either
the sins we have committed of the sins that other committed against us, or
perhaps both.

Some Christians weep in contrition; others simply
nod their heads in silent assent. Some Christians feel bowled over by their sin;
others do not take their sin seriously enough. King David would grow poetic
about all the regrets that afflicted him (e.g., Psalm 32:3-5, 42:12). When we
gather together here as a group, we make monotone confession of everything we
do not want to talk about. We admit that we have “sinned against God in
thought, word and deed” (LSB, 151)—even
when we cannot remember every sinful thought or word or deed (Psalm 19:12). We
confess that we are poor, miserable sinners (LSB, 184), whether we actually
feel miserable in that moment or not.

In what way do your sins and regrets interact with
you? Whether the memory of your sin creates trauma for you, or whether that
memory hangs quietly present like graffiti on a wall, God wants you to think of
those memories as His gift to you.

That might seem strange to you, that God would want
you to think of the memory of your sin as His gift and blessing upon you. You
might find it easier to think that the regrets of your past are more likely the
tool of the devil, designed to torture you and afflict you and overwhelm you.
Make
no mistake about it: the old, wily foe certainly does want to drag you into
despair
and great shame, and he will not fail to use your memories against you. But
your God is greater than the devil. That was proven once and for all in the
death and resurrection of your Lord Jesus. And you also know that your Lord
Jesus has done more than simply live and die and live for you—as if that were
not enough. Your Lord Jesus has also come personally to you, in order to live
with you and remain inside of you, with all of His resurrection power. That is
why God has written concerning the Christ, “He
who is in you is greater than He who is in the world” (1 John 4:4).

Your God is greater than that maggot-ridden devil,
and your God certainly makes greater, more powerful, and more blessed use of
your memories. That is why–whether the memory of your sin traumatizes you or
silently
accuses you—that is why God wants you to think of those memories as His gift to
you. God uses the memory of your sins and regrets as a way of making you able
to listen to the voice of His prophet and to look in the direction that the
prophet’s finger is pointing:

John the Baptist saw Jesus coming
toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the
world!” [Then, so that none of us will miss the point,] the next day again John
was standing with two of his disciples, and he looked at Jesus as He walked by
and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God!”

Take especially to heart that Word “world”—“Behold the Lamb of God, who takes
away the
sin of the WORLD.” I think a lot of Christians doubt whether Jesus has
forgiven all their sins, individually and personally. These Christians know and
believe that Jesus forgives sins in a general sense, but they wonder whether
Jesus
forgives THEIR sins, individually and personally. I have become aware of this
doubt by visiting to shut-ins, to bring them Holy Communion. When I serve the
Holy Communion at home, I have a series of questions that I ask the people, by
way of confession and absolution.

·        The
first I ask: “Do you believe yourself to be a sinner in need of God’s
forgiveness? If so, answer, I do.” When I ask this question of Christians, the
answer is always quick and bold and clear: “I do.” It does not seem difficult
for Christians to believe that they need forgiveness from God.

·        A
bold and clear answer to my second question is not nearly so common. Here is
the second question I ask: “Do you believe that the heavenly Father has, for the
sake of His Son Jesus, forgiven all your sins and pardoned your offenses? If so
answer, I do believe.” Sometimes there is choked silence. Sometimes the answer
comes, “I think so.” Sometimes I need to repeat the question and admonish them
to answer according to the faith: “I do believe.”

God does not want you to doubt that all your sins
are forgiven by Jesus! God inserted the Word “world” into today’s Gospel
precisely
so that you will not doubt that Jesus the Lamb of God carries your sins along
with everyone else’s! “Behold the Lamb of
God, who takes away the sin of the WORLD.” If you delude yourself into
thinking you are NOT part of this world, we might need to lock you up. Look at
the ground underneath your feet; draw in a few lungfuls of air; feel your
whiskers or your heartbeat or the edge of your fingernails. Take all of these
sensations as good evidence that you are truly part of the world and undeniably
in it, then listen to what the prophet has said: “the Lamb of God takes away
the sin of the WORLD.” Look in the
direction of the prophet’s “Behold!” and
believe. Stop doubting and do the math: I am in the world; Jesus has taken away
the sins of the world; therefore Jesus has taken my sins away.

·        Those
vivid memories of regret that you cannot escape? Jesus strapped those memories
upon Himself like a backpack. Those memories died when Jesus died, and He left
them behind in the tomb when He rose up from the dead.

·        Those
skeletons that you have stacked up in all your closets? Jesus has borne them in
His body, from the moment of His Baptism to the moment of His obedient
death—“even death on a cross” (Philippians
2:8).

·        Do
NOT carry any longer the weight of the world on your shoulders. God wants you
to know in today’s Gospel that His Son Jesus already took the full weight of
the world upon His own shoulders for you. John the Baptist uses a present
participle in today’s Gospel, and he uses it with earnestness and seriousness:
“Behold the Lamb of God, the one right now
carrying—the Lamb now lifting up and holding and lugging around—the sin of the
world.”

When your sins and your regrets interact with you
and come back to you, welcome them! Do not welcome them because of any
condemnation they might attempt to lay upon you. Thus it has been written by
God, “There is now, therefore, no
condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1). Welcome the
memory of your sins and regrets because of good and beneficial way your God
chooses
to make use of your memories, turning your eyes toward Jesus—so that you will
like what you see and welcome Him with relief. “Behold the Lamb of God, who
takes away the sin of the world.”