"Faith: The Christian's Empty Hand"
Quinquagesima
March 2, 2014
Luke 18:31-43

Faith is difficult, isn't it? The struggle as a Christian in this
life; the difficulty of trusting in God when you are experiencing
trials. That's our perception anyway.

God's is very different. Today's Gospel reading shows that in fact
faith is not difficult. That we think it's difficult shows just how
much we don't know what true faith is. That we think it's difficult
shows that we believe that we're the ones who need to do the work of
faith. If this were the case, faith wouldn't be difficult, it would be
impossible. And the truth is, of ourselves, faith is impossible.
That's why we think it's difficult. We think faith is of us when
really it's not.

So could it be? Could it be that it's far easier than we think it is?
Not only could it be, it is. Faith is produced by God, not by our
inner spiritual workings. Faith is born from what is heard, and what
is heard is the Word of Christ. Faith is not the Christian's powerful
spirituality but rather the Christian's empty hand. We have nothing to
offer God.

God demands of you faith. Complete, utter trust in Him for all that is
good in your life. He demands this of you and brings the gauntlet down
on you if you do not comply. Sound difficult? It's not difficult at
all. It's impossible. You stand before Him not in trust but in denial
of His sheer holiness and goodness. You do not truly believe He is the
only Lord because you hold on to yourself as your god. He is the only
true God and you stand before Him condemned.

But that God is holy and therefore condemns you doesn't mean He
doesn't love you. The very God who is holy is the very God who has
made a way to save you and invites you to a living faith. A faith in
Him that fully and completely trusts in Him. The God who is holy and
cannot allow sinners in His presence is the very God who is merciful
and boundless in grace and favor.

You know the God who demands faith of you? He is this God. He is the
God who gives you the very faith He demands of you. You know how you
know this of Him? He is the one who gives you His Son. That's how you
know who God is. You look to how He has revealed Himself to you. In
His Son. His Son who says in the Gospel reading "See, we are going up
to Jerusalem, and everything that is written about the Son of Man by
the prophets will be accomplished. For He will be delivered over to
the Gentiles and will be mocked and shamefully treated and spit upon.
And after flogging Him, they will kill Him, and on the third day He
will rise."

This is how you know. You know because He has revealed it to you. You
have faith because He has given it to you. Because He has given you
His Son. Because He desires not to strike you down but to lift you up.
Because He desires for you to be in His presence, because His presence
is where life truly is, where grace and favor reign supreme.

He gives you His Son, He gives you faith, He assures you it is all His
work and not dependent on you. But what about when you in your sinful
flesh still try to do it on your own? After Jesus told His disciples
that they were going up to Jerusalem and He would suffer, Luke says,
"But they understood none of these things. This saying was hidden from
them, and they did not grasp what was said." That shows you that faith
is not of yourself. It's completely of God, by Him, by His grace. That
you have faith, that you believe in Jesus as your Lord, is not by
difficulty. It's by God's giving it to you.

I have to think that those disciples of Jesus often felt really
foolish. I have to think that those disciples often felt like they
just weren't getting it. But you know who those disciples were? They
were the ones whom Jesus called. That's right, Jesus is the one who
called them. He's the one who gave them faith. And the fact that they
so often didn't get it; so often recoiled against Jesus' insistence
that the reason He came--the reason!--was to go to the cross, shows us
exactly what faith is all about. It is all about Jesus giving you the
faith to believe, not you coming up with the trust you need to hold on
to Him.

And that brings us to that other person in the Gospel reading. Yes,
the blind man. Here Jesus shows us that faith is most certainly not by
sight. It's not by our ability to comprehend, to understand, to reason
it out. The guy couldn't see! But he could hear. And this how God
works. He speaks. We listen. Faith comes by hearing, not by sight. We
live by faith, not by sight. We hear and it's the Word of Christ that
is the powerful, active agent in producing faith in us.

The guy couldn't see, so people spoke to him. The man's cry was the
cry of faith. It is the cry of the Church here on earth, of all times
and all places, as She awaits the day Her holy Bridegroom will come to
take Her to His eternal Feast. It is the cry of mercy. "They told him,
'Jesus of Nazareth is passing by.' And he cried out, 'Jesus, Son of
David, have mercy on me!'" Some tried to squelch him, but he cried out
all the more, "Have mercy on me!"

The cry of faith. The Christian's empty hand. He has nothing to give.
Nothing to offer. The Christian simply cries out for mercy. Confronted
by God's almighty power and holiness and the demand for faith, he
cries out, "This I do not have. Just the opposite: I have bitterness
and envy and doubt and wretchedness in my heart. There's one thing I
have and that is what I give, my plea for mercy." And God's response
is, "As you plead so shall you receive. I give you My Son. Your
bitterness and envy and doubt and wretchedness is now His. His
holiness, His righteousness, is now yours. I give you the very faith I
have demanded of you, go in Peace."

When Jesus gave the man his sight, "[He] said to him, 'Recover your
sight; your faith has saved you.'" It has restored you. You are free
from the darkness you were in. You now see with new eyes, the eyes of
faith.

What was it about this man's faith that restored him? It was the
object of the faith. The man was before Jesus with empty hands. There
was nothing he could offer Jesus. Therefore his cry to Him was the cry
of faith. Lord, have mercy on me. It's all I can ask for and it's all
I need. Faith is only as good as its object. If your faith is in
something false then your faith is false. If your faith is in
something that cannot give you what you truly need then your faith is
not true faith. Faith God demands of you is faith He gives you. It is
faith in His Son, for He is what God has given you.

Faith might be the most misused and abused thing there is in the
Christian life. People don't understand it because they try to
understand it. They don't get it because they don't realize that they
can't get it. The answer to having the faith God demands of you is not
trying to drum up the faith. It's the cry for mercy! It's, Lord, I
can't see you and you're all I need to see! It's, Lord, I believe,
help my unbelief! It's simply, Lord, have mercy on me.

When the blind man recovered his sight, Luke says that he "followed
[Jesus], glorifying God." Faith does not focus on faith. It focuses on
Christ. It follows not the sinful desires of the flesh, but Christ and
His death and resurrection. It glorifies not itself but God alone. It
rejoices not in how strong of faith it is but in how empty and weak it
is; the perfect position to be filled up by God Himself in His Son
Jesus Christ.

Faith is abused when faith becomes the focus. Faith is rightly
exercised when our trust is not in our faith but when all trust and
joy is in Christ alone and His salvation given in the drowning of the
Old Adam in Baptism. Faith seeks not faith but rather Christ.
Therefore, faith looks to Christ. It offers to Him nothing but an
empty hand, seeking to be filled with all the riches of His blessings,
all His eternal grace and mercy, all His boundless forgiveness and
love.

The sinful flesh violently opposes this faith, wishing instead for us
to look within ourselves and tempting us to consider how great our
faith is or perhaps how we need to get more and more faith or greater
and greater faith. True faith scoffs at this trick of the devil and
your sinful nature. It says, "I'm nothing, and that's exactly what I
need to be. It's only then that I can receive what I need, and that's
mercy. That's why I daily live in my Baptism. I daily die to sin,
confessing it, recognizing that I am nothing but a wretched, miserable
sinner--but one who has been Baptized into the cleansing and refreshing
waters of Baptism where I have been united not with faith but my Lord
Jesus Christ who has died for me and risen for me. It's why I hunger
and thirst for the food He gives me, which is His very self, His Body
and Blood, His life-giving and strengthening Food for my soul and my
body."

And finally, faith doesn't seek to offer anything new, but simply says
to the promises of God in Christ Jesus, "Amen." It is so. You said it,
I believe it.

SDG

--
Pastor Paul L. Willweber
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church [LCMS]

It is the spirit and genius of Lutheranism to be liberal in everything
except where the marks of the Church are concerned.
[Henry Hamann, On Being a Christian]