"Christian Vocation: Youth"
Midweek in Lent4
April 2, 2014
1Peter 5:5-6

Young men, in the same way, be submissive to those who are older. All
of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,
"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." Humble
yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you
up in due time. 1Peter 5:5-6

The pattern we have been following has been consistent. We are
recipients. We are hearers. We submit to our God who gives to us and
loves us and keeps us in His care and guides us. Vocation is never
carried out apart from God working in us and through us. His vocation,
as it were, is to love us and give to us. Our vocation is to receive,
to rejoice, to give thanks. Our vocation, then, is to carry out the
callings He gives to each of us so that He may love and serve and give
to others through us. We love and serve and give to others as the way
we love and serve and give thanks to God for His blessings He gives us
of forgiveness and life and salvation.

So tonight's vocation isn't so much about youth as it is about what
vocation is all about. As we saw last week, children honor and obey
their parents because in doing so they are honoring and obeying God.
So with youth, they are submissive to their elders not because older
people have some divinely sanctioned position to rule over youth, but
because in submitting to their elders youth are submitting to God.
Again, the pattern was set when God first spoke to Adam. Adam's first
vocation was to hear. To receive. To simply live under the grace of
God. And from there out we saw how employers and employees, husbands
and wives, and parents and children are hearers and receivers of God's
grace and blessings and only then are able to love and serve others.

It would be easy to simply say that youth are to be submissive to
those who are older. Easy, but that would give an incomplete picture
of what's going on. This is how the apostle Peter states it: "Young
men, in the same way, be submissive to those who are older. All of
you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, 'God
opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.'" We have talked
about submission during our look at Christian vocation. Submission is
at the heart of vocation. Submission doesn't mean you give up your
identity or your dignity. It means you receive. It means you place
yourself under the good and gracious will of God. In turn, you do this
to those He has called to be in authority over you. They are given to
you by God to love you and serve you and care for your welfare.

So, yeah, Peter is talking about youth, but would that we all would
follow the counsel given here so that we may see that all of us are
better off--that is, blessed by God--if we submit to those God has given
to us to submit to. "Clothe yourselves with humility," Peter says.
When you interact with others, do so in the clothing of humility. Who
are you anyway? Who are you to be above others? How can you consider
yourself better than someone else? Arrogance and pride will bring you
down, far greater than you would ever be when you humble yourself.

But back to the first question: Who are you? You are a child of God.
You are a Baptized child of God. You are a recipient of His grace, of
His mercy, of His love. You are one whose vocation it is to first
receive and then to carry out your vocations God has given you. So
when you interact with others, do so in the humility of knowing that
you are not above others in terms of being better than they are, but
rather in the knowledge that you are recipients of God's love and have
only His love to share with them.

Think also of what you are giving them. You are giving them what you
have received. You have received Christ. Your new life in Christ has
been given to you in Baptism where you have been united with Christ.
It now no longer you who live but Christ who lives in you. The one who
submitted Himself to His Heavenly Father in becoming flesh and
suffering and dying on the cross is the one you are united with and
live in. The one who Himself, though He is God, submitted Himself to
His earthly father and mother and His elders, is the one who lives
through you so that you may realize that as He entrusted Himself to
them so you may with those who are above you.

Sometimes youth is associated with rebellion. True enough. But part of
the reason why it's so important for all of us to hear this
exhortation to youth is that we all are rebellious toward God. Our sin
bears this out. Our lack of trust in God shows our rebellion. So when
God commands us to submit to those who are in authority over us and
they command us to do things that we don't want to do, what do we do?
We rebel. Even if we do what we're commanded, if we do it in an
ungrateful spirit, we are rebelling against God's good gift of giving
us those in authority over us. So we need Christ. We need to live in
Him so that His humility and His love shine through.

Another thing often associated with youth is pride. When you are
young, you have idealism. You see so many things that are possible.
You can't understand why those adults are stuck in a rut and seem
content in it. Why they are stubbornly practical rather than
impulsive, willing to experiment, to take chances. Obviously, though
they claim to have wisdom, they don't know much, because as youth we
see things so clearly. Those of who have grown out of youth can
remember back to those days when we felt like this. Those of you who
are still young, perhaps you are thinking and feeling along these
lines. It's true that sometimes adults hinder youthful idealism.
Sometimes adults do get stuck in a rut. It's true also, that one of
the antidotes to thinking you know so much and those adults really
don't know as much as they let on is to see beyond yourself.

Pride is the affliction of being one who does not need to receive. If
an adult is giving you advice and you are rolling your eyes then you
are not seeing yourself as one who needs something beyond what you
already have. You may not agree with the advice, but you need to come
to learn that there is always so much more to learn, that humility is
the way to go because then you will be the recipient of blessings you
could never gain on your own.

When we were looking at parents and children one of the things we saw
was that the Fourth Commandment--Honor your father and your mother--was
the first one with a promise, "that you may live long on the earth."
In other words, not only are you to honor your parents and those in
authority over you because God has commanded you to, but when you do
you are blessed by Him through that. In the same way, when he says,
"'God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.'" Humble
yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand," Peter attaches this
promise to his exhortation to youth: "that He may lift you up in due
time."

When you realize that God has given those older than you to be there
for you for your good, you begin to see that God will lift you up. You
don't need to bypass all those things adults lay upon you in order to
get where you want to be, rather you need to be submissive to them and
God will do the work of raising you up. He will help you see that as
you grow older you will be given by God the vocation of serving others
in this way that adults serve you. You will be placed into positions
of authority over others so that you may serve them as God has called
you to do.

As this happens in your life you will see that being lifted up by God
is not you having power and being better than others. You will see
that it is a joy to love others and to serve them. You will see that
it is fulfilling to humble yourself as your Lord has humbled Himself
to love and serve you. You will see that the more you learn, the more
you need to learn and hear and study God's Word. You will see that as
you grow, you need to more and more grow and be strengthened in God's
Word.

You will see that you will be daily in need of being humbled, of
living in your Baptism, daily dying to your sinful nature and rising
to new life. You will see that it is a great privilege to be served by
your Lord as He comes to you in humility in bread and wine at His
Table where He gives you His body and blood for your forgiveness of
all of your sins of pride and arrogance and thinking you know so much
and don't need to submit to those who are over you. Your Lord humbly
and joyfully forgives you of those things. He graciously and
continually takes upon Himself your sin and guilt so that you may
joyfully and freely love and serve others. Amen.

SDG

--
Pastor Paul L. Willweber
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church [LCMS]

It is the spirit and genius of Lutheranism to be liberal in everything
except where the marks of the Church are concerned.
[Henry Hamann, On Being a Christian]