"The Place Where They Laid Him"
Easter Vigil
April 19, 2014
Mark 16:1-8

You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He has risen; He is not
here. See the place where they laid Him.

A vigil is something we do. Not the women. They weren’t holding a
vigil. In their profound sorrow they were caring for the body of their
Lord. Only, there was no body. “You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was
crucified. He has risen; He is not here. See the place where they laid
Him.” In their profound sorrow they had forgotten, but actually had
simply not believed, that what the angel was telling them now was what
their Lord had been telling them all along, that Jesus would not stay
dead. That He would rise. You seek the one who was crucified, but He’s
no longer here. He has risen. See the place where they laid Him.

They were not holding a vigil. We do this because we know after the
fact the fact of what happened. Would we have believed unlike the
women? It’s doubtful. They were no different than the rest of the
disciples. Even the Eleven, whom Jesus was calling to be apostles, did
not believe. They were not holding a vigil but hiding out in fear.

A vigil is something we do. We know the outcome. We know that
following the evening on Saturday and through the night Jesus came out
of the tomb early on Sunday morning. We know this and we believe it
and so we hold a vigil. We wait for a few more hours to hold the
joyous celebration of Easter victory. Even as we do we can’t help but
already take hold of the joy. We know what happened. We know He rose.
We know the truth of the words of the angel.

We have heard the countless promises of God and His salvation. We have
seen how they all have come about. We have seen that it is through the
Son of God. Jesus of Nazareth, the one who was crucified. The one who
is no longer in the grave. The one who has risen.

The one who will come again. And so our vigil takes on the form of a
life lived in expectation. We are looking forward to Him returning in
glory. As He rose on the third day so will He come again on the Last
Day. As He promised to suffer, die, and rise, He has promised to come
again. Our vigil takes the form of seeking Him where He is. We don’t
seek Him in a tomb. We don’t seek Him in our hearts. We don’t seek Him
in good works or other religions.

We seek Him in the Word. In the Gospel and in the Gospel enfleshed in
water and bread and wine. We seek Him in other places and we get the
message, “He is not here.” We seek Him where He has promised to be
found and we get the message, “He will go before you and will come
again on the Last Day.” Amen.

SDG

--
Pastor Paul L. Willweber
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church [LCMS]

It is the spirit and genius of Lutheranism to be liberal in everything
except where the marks of the Church are concerned.
[Henry Hamann, On Being a Christian]