"The Wrong Question"
Thirteenth Sunday after Trinity
Holy Cross Day
September 14, 2014
Luke 10:23–37

How do you answer a question? There’s the direct approach. Someone
asks you a question and you get right to the point, you answer their
question. If you don’t want to answer the question there’s the evasive
approach. You beat around the bush, you explain why you really can’t
answer the question simply. One of my favorites is answering a
question with a question. Instead of simply answering the person’s
question you might want them to come to the answer on their own, which
can’t happen if you just answer the question.

This is the method Jesus uses in the Gospel reading today. This man
who is an expert in the Law of the Old Testament comes to Jesus with a
question: “What must I do to obtain eternal life?” Jesus knows the
state of this man spiritually. We are even let in on how the man is
approaching Jesus. He is trying to test Him. The man knows the laws
laid down in the Old Testament inside and out. He knows they are
distilled in the two greatest commandments: Love the Lord your God
with all your heart, your strength, your mind, and your soul and love
your neighbor as yourself. He sees that the Law calls for a life in
which your being is entrusted to God and your whole life is in service
to your neighbor.

So what is the answer to the question? Jesus gives the answer, but not
quite in the way the lawyer would have liked it. He answers the
question with a question. Jesus sees right through this man. What must
I do? This is what he wants to know from Jesus. Giving a
straightforward answer, Jesus would have said, “What must you do?
Nothing. You can’t do anything and you haven’t done anything.” As the
Scriptures clearly teach, “it is by grace we are saved, not by works.”
You gain eternal life by God saving you, not by you doing something to
be saved.

Jesus doesn’t take this approach. How could He get this man to see
himself for what he really was, one who knew God’s Law inside and out
but believing he could stand before God because he saw himself as
keeping that Law sufficiently? He could answer the question with a
question: “What is written in the Law?” The man answered correctly, of
course. He knew the Law. He very likely conformed his life admirably
according to God’s Law. He very likely was a man you would love to
have as your neighbor, one who loved God and his neighbor as himself.

He answered Jesus’ question correctly and this time Jesus responded
not with a question but an answer: “Do this and you shall live.” There
was the answer to the man’s question. The man had in fact answered his
own question himself, hadn’t he? But he wasn’t seeking the will of
God, he was seeking to test Jesus. Hearing Jesus’ answer, he was now
trying to get Jesus to unpack this Law of God. “Okay, Jesus, you say I
have answered correctly. Who then, is my neighbor? If I am to love my
neighbor as myself and then I will gain eternal life, tell me who my
neighbor is and I’ll get right to it.”

It’s always sad when someone is such a good person and yet completely
deluded. Not that we can stand in judgment on others. But when we see
someone who doesn’t see that they are on the wrong track shouldn’t we
try to get them to see it? This is what Jesus does. The man may be
trying to get the best of Jesus but Jesus is trying to get him to see
that he in fact has not obtained eternal life because he is trying to
attain it by his own work.

So Jesus goes back to answering a question with a question. The man
asks, “Who is my neighbor.” Jesus responds with a question, but first
He tells a story. We know the story well. The parable of the Good
Samaritan illustrates to the man what he is not seeing. He is seeing
God showing favor to those like him who know the Law of God and who
conform their lives to it. What he is not seeing is that no matter how
well you know God’s Law and how well you conform your life to it, you
are seeking to obtain salvation by what you do, not by what God does.

God’s Law is not His final word. His Gospel is. There’s no doubt God
lays down His Law. There’s no question He wills for us to keep it. The
problem, which the man did not see, is that we fail. In thinking that
we can do something to gain salvation we lose it. We are sinners and
sinners do not love God with all their heart, soul, strength, and
mind. Sinners do not love their neighbor as themselves. If you could,
and if you did, as Jesus says, well, then, yes, you would have eternal
life. Wouldn’t God love it if we did? Yes, if we did, that would be
great. But we are deluding ourselves if we think we can. This man
thought he could.

Who is my neighbor, he asks Jesus. Jesus tells him of a man who was
robbed, beaten, and left for dead. Who is going to help this man? Will
it be the priest who walks by? The priest knows about the Law of God,
certainly he would love that man in the ditch as he loves himself. But
for him the Law of God actually restricts him from helping the unclean
man. If the priest gets his hands dirty with such a man he will defile
himself ritually, and then how will he be able to serve God in the
important role of priest?

What about the next man who comes along, will he help the guy who is
dying in the ditch? The Levite didn’t have the same level of
importance as the priest, so perhaps he could risk the defilement and
just help the poor guy out. But no, he walks on by too.

Is there anyone who will help this guy, or will he die a pitiful death
because there was no one who would get their hands dirty and help him?
Jesus shows the lawyer how his trust was in his own self-righteousness
when He gives as the savior of this man left for dead a Samaritan. The
lawyer might have thought that Jesus might just use some regular old
person to help the guy out, but he used one who was despised, a
Samaritan. The Samaritans, in the eyes of the Jews, had rejected the
true God because they rejected the place where God had directed them
to worship Him, at the temple in Jerusalem. That the Samaritans
believed that they were true recipients of God’s promise to Abraham of
being His holy people showed the Jews just how heretical the
Samaritans were.

But here Jesus makes the Samaritan the hero. He shows the lawyer that
the way God works in giving you salvation is not by laying down a list
of rules for you to follow and then He will accept you. It’s rather
the pure, selfless compassion that is shown in a hated Samaritan who
goes down into the ditch where the bleeding and nearly unconscious man
is and places him on his own donkey and binds up his wounds and takes
him to an inn where he can rest and get healed. It’s limitless love
that gives money to the innkeeper that will take care of all the
costs, no matter how much it costs.

The lawyer knows what is coming, of course. Jesus has just laid out a
story to convict him, put him in his place, and help him see plainly
that the man’s neighbor is the one in the ditch. If you see someone in
need, help him, he is your neighbor. This is how Jesus will answer his
question, Who is my neighbor?

But the lawyer actually has no idea what is coming. The lawyer is met
with his question with yet another question from Jesus: “Who was the
neighbor to the man in the ditch?” The lawyer knows yet again the
correct answer. It’s the one who showed mercy on the man in need.

And that brings Jesus right back to where He was before, with the same
answer He gave to the lawyer after he got the first question right:
“You go and do likewise.” You want to earn salvation? Be that
Samaritan. Be the one who has mercy on such a one who is in need. Do
this and you will live.

We’re not told how the man responds. We don’t know if he finally got
the point and repented of his self-righteousness. We are left only
with Jesus’ answer to the man: You go and do likewise.

It might sound like this is an exhortation to the man, You go and do
likewise. But it’s not. It’s His answer to the man’s question. When he
first came to Jesus with his question Jesus saw that it was the wrong
question.

How do you answer the wrong question? You get the person to see that
it’s the wrong question. You want to know what you must do? You must
love God completely. You must love your neighbor completely. You must
love as the Samaritan loved, in complete compassion in which he put
the man’s needs before himself in order to save him.

There is only one love like this and there is only one who loves in
this way. It is the one the man came to with his question. It is
Jesus. Jesus is the one who loves in this way. He and the Father are
one. He loves us as Himself, even laying down His life for us. In
compassion He stepped down into the ditch to get us out and brought us
to the place of rest and healing, where we are Baptized and then given
the Medicine of Immortality, the medicine of eternal life: the Lord’s
Supper.

If you seek to know what you must do to obtain eternal life Jesus will
show you there is nothing you can do. He shows you that it is what He
has done. He is the one who Himself was beaten and whose life left Him
on the cross. He in compassion gave His life for us. We obtain eternal
life by what He has done. Eternal life is given to us and it includes
the opportunity to ask the right questions, such as: How can I be a
neighbor to others? Having received mercy, how can I show mercy? Being
forgiven of my sins, how may I forgive those who sin against me?

You ask the wrong question, you won’t get the answer you were looking
for. You ask the right question and Jesus will give you answer. If you
seek to know what you must do to be saved, you will be left for dead.
If you seek to know what God has done for you to save you, He will
give you His answer. It is Jesus. Amen.

SDG
--
Pastor Paul L. Willweber
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church [LCMS]

It is the spirit and genius of Lutheranism to be liberal in everything
except where the marks of the Church are concerned.
[Henry Hamann, On Being a Christian]