"Jesus Is at the Center of Your Salvation"
Fourteenth Sunday after Trinity
Matthew, Apostle and Evangelist
September 21, 2014
Luke 17:11–19

Imagine having a disease that covers your skin. In Jesus’ time those
with this condition were cut off from the community. Even today if
someone has a disease that is contagious they are quarantined. Today
many infectious diseases can be treated and a person can still be in
society. These ten lepers who cried out to Jesus weren’t able to. They
were outcasts. They cried out to Jesus for mercy.

What were they hoping for? Were they requesting a miracle? Were they
just looking for compassion since they got very little of that? They
pleaded for mercy and mercy is what they received. They were cleansed.

No doubt they all were grateful. One of them, a Samaritan, came back
praising God. He believed in God and so it’s expected that he praised
God. When he returned to Jesus he fell on his face and gave thanks to
Jesus. When he praised God, who was he directing his praise to? When
he fell on his face before Jesus, who was he thinking Jesus was? When
he gave thanks to Jesus, were his thanks to Jesus for performing a
miracle or because he believed that Jesus was in fact the God he was
praising?

Luke doesn’t tell us this. The way it reads, the Samaritan gave thanks
to God and then he went back to Jesus and with humility was thankful
to Jesus. The way it reads, though, is through the lens we so often
put on when we approach the Bible. What do we think the Bible is?

It’s a book. It’s not just a book, it’s a book given to us directly by
God. It recounts historical events that are not only historical, but
sacred history. It’s a book that teaches us not just about life on
this earth but life eternally. All of these beliefs about the Bible
are true. They are godly ways by which we view the Bible and are
rejected by so many people.

The problem with us, though, is that we tend to not see the fullness
of what God has given us in the Bible. It’s history, but it’s not only
history. It’s sacred history, but it’s not only sacred history. It’s
recounting what happened back then not just so that we can learn what
it means for us today. It’s recounting what happened back then so that
we can see what is actually being delivered to us today.

In today’s Gospel reading ten men were cleansed of leprosy. It’s
pretty easy to see what was delivered to them. But there’s more to it.
One of those ten it seems received more. What is it that you and I
receive today that is the very same work of Jesus back then? To see
this, we must see beyond just the recounting of a historical event.
The Samaritan clearly was praising God when he realized he was healed.
What seems less clear is what he really thought or believed about
Jesus. A miracle worker? An agent God worked through to cleanse him of
his leprosy? Could it be that this Samaritan actually believed Jesus
was God in the flesh?

I’m not sure from the words on the pages of the Scriptures themselves
we can really know the answers to these questions. But could it be
that this is by design by Luke, who wrote this, and by the Holy Spirit
who inspired Luke to write it? There are times in the Bible where it
says straightforwardly that some believed in Jesus. There are times
like this where it’s not clear what the Samaritan thought of Jesus. In
the case where it says someone believes in Jesus we can learn from
that in our own situation that we too ought to believe in Him.

What about from today’s Gospel reading? If all we’re getting out of
this episode is that Jesus is in fact God and that He helps us in our
need just as He did with the lepers, then Luke might very well have
just stated that point. But he didn’t. He told the story in the way he
did so that we can see that Jesus doesn’t just help us, He is God in
the flesh. And He’s not just God in the flesh, He’s God in the flesh
for you. He’s God in the flesh who came to suffer on the cross for all
of your sin. And even more, He’s God in the flesh in the way He comes
to you when you cry to Him for mercy, in His Gospel and in His
Sacraments.

The way Luke has structured this story shows us that we are to see in
it not just one more instance where Jesus healed someone, but one more
instance where we are shown that Jesus is at the center of salvation.
He is God in the flesh and therefore His flesh is clean, without spot
or blemish. His life is holy, without sin. It is Jesus in the flesh,
God in the flesh, who gives cleansing to the lepers. Right in the
middle of the story the one leper who saw that he was healed does
these two things, he praises God and he bows before Jesus while giving
Him thanks. Jesus is at the center. That is what Luke is showing us.

Jesus ends up telling the man to go on his way. Jesus was, Himself, on
His way, as we see from the beginning of the Gospel reading. It was
the way leading to Jerusalem, where the cross would be waiting for
Him. If He would cleanse lepers of their uncleanness, it would not be
without taking on His pure flesh the decaying flesh of our sinful
nature in His death on the cross.

We don’t know what that Samaritan thought of Jesus. We don’t need to
know. What we need to know is what Luke, having been inspired by the
Holy Spirit, is showing us who Jesus is and what He does for us. He is
centering that leper’s salvation and our salvation in Jesus. He is
showing us that the God who was praised by the Samaritan was standing
there in the flesh and who Himself died on the cross.  He is showing
us that this very same God, this very same Jesus, comes to us in the
flesh to us, today, to cleanse us, heal us, give us new life.

Paul shows us in the Epistle reading how this looks in our own life.
As a horrible skin disease ravaged the bodies of those ten men in the
Gospel reading, a horrible disease called sin ravages us in body and
soul. This manifests itself in what Paul calls the works of the flesh:
sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity,
strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions,
envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. You think we need to
be cleansed? Is there a need for us also to cry out to God for mercy?
The one who cleansed the lepers cleanses you.

Jesus had directed those men to go to the priests. Only when the
priests had declared them clean would they be clean. In Baptism this
is what Jesus does. In the same way a soothing bath would work its
cleansing healing for someone who is recovering from a skin disease,
Baptism is a washing away of your sin. The washing was not done by the
water but by the very person who took all your sin upon Himself. The
cleansing of your sin in Baptism was done by Jesus, who is at the
center of your salvation, joining Himself to you in those very waters.
One of the ways the New Testament describes Baptism, as it does in the
Epistle reading, is that we have crucified the sinful flesh.

When the leper had returned to Jesus Jesus showed him what we need to
see for ourselves. He said to the man, “Rise and go your way; your
faith has made you well.” This is wellness as in wholeness. He was
made well in body and soul. The one who had healed him, cleansing him
of his skin disease, was the very one who cleanses in body and soul in
taking our sin on Himself. This life in which we are cleansed from our
sin is described in the Epistle reading as manifesting itself in the
fruit of the Spirit, which is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,
goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

Jesus is at the center of your salvation, He has crucified your
ravaged sinful flesh in Baptism. He cleanses you with His forgiveness
in giving you His holy and pure body and blood in His Supper. You may
go on your way, now, living life that you know is in His eternal care,
for He has made you whole. Amen.

SDG

--
Pastor Paul L. Willweber
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church [LCMS]

It is the spirit and genius of Lutheranism to be liberal in everything
except where the marks of the Church are concerned.
[Henry Hamann, On Being a Christian]