"Where Our Lord Is, There Is Forgiveness"
Nineteenth Sunday after Trinity
October 5, 2014
Matthew 9:1–8

Some people brought to [Jesus] a paralytic, lying on a bed. And when
Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, “Take heart, My son;
your sins are forgiven.”

Where our Lord is, there is forgiveness.

When God is present, forgiveness is the order of the day. In other
words, who God is is life and what God does is forgive. God is not
everywhere in order to bring forgiveness. He is present in His Son. He
brings forgiveness specifically in His Son, Jesus Christ. Where Jesus
is, there God is. And where God is, there is forgiveness.

Where our Lord is, there is forgiveness. And where there is
forgiveness, as we are taught in the Catechism, there is also life and
salvation. When you’re in the presence of God, you’re not just in the
presence of the Deity. You are in the presence of the one who is life,
who gives life, who forgives.

Now you may reject this life He gives. You may refuse the forgiveness
He offers. But the reason you don’t have the forgiveness is because
you have rejected it. In the Gospel reading, the paralyzed man’s sins
were forgiven. Period. His friends brought him to Jesus and Jesus
forgave his sins.

God’s forgiveness is not an abstract love. It is forgiveness in His
Son. It is in the Person of Jesus that forgiveness is found. God
delivered personal forgiveness to the paralyzed man in the actual
person of Jesus who actually spoke to him that forgiveness. Where He
is there is forgiveness.

There is no forgiveness apart from Jesus. You can be forgiven by
someone you sin against. But in your flesh you are corrupt and you
have guilt. God forgives you of your sin but His promise is good only
in His Son. Where He is, there is forgiveness. Any attempt at ridding
yourself of your sin and your guilt apart from Jesus only entrenches
you more deeply in your sin.

The paralyzed man had a deeper problem than not being able to walk. He
was in need of forgiveness. That’s what Jesus gave him. His paralysis
is a picture of our inability to move toward God and appease Him. In
our sinful flesh we are unable to move, unable to save ourselves,
unable to rid ourselves of our sin. God made the move to us, He gave
His Son. Where He is, there is our forgiveness.

The forgiveness we receive from Christ is received by faith. The faith
of the recipient is faith that comes only from the one who the faith
is in. The Gospel reading says that when Jesus saw their faith He
forgave the man his sins. Where our Lord is, there faith is given.

Faith is only as good as its object. Where Jesus is, there true faith
is given. Jesus refers simply to faith, not genuine faith. The faith
He gives is true, genuine faith. It is that trust which grasps the
very person and work of Jesus Himself. His presence and His word that
He speaks bring about not only the forgiveness He speaks but the faith
which latches on to that promise of forgiveness. “He said to the
paralytic, ‘Take heart, My son; your sins are forgiven.’”

This faith of the paralyzed man wasn’t generic faith. It was personal
faith. It was faith in the one standing before him. True faith is
faith in Jesus Christ and that means that true faith is only that
faith which looks outside of itself. One who has faith in Christ
doesn’t point to himself and how great of faith he has. He rather
looks to himself and sees that he is spiritually paralyzed, spiritual
unable to move and do anything for God to gain forgiveness. His faith
is in the God who gives His Son. His faith is in the one in whom there
is forgiveness.

Where our Lord is there is forgiveness because where our Lord is is
coming into the flesh among us. Where He is is coming into our realm
and taking our place on the cross. Where He is coming to you in your
life the ways He has promised—in your Baptism, in Holy Communion, in
the words spoken to you of Absolution—I forgive you all your sins.
Faith that looks within is faith that trusts in the fallen sinful
flesh. Faith that looks to Christ is faith that is the recipient of
what Christ gives, and that is forgiveness.

The forgiveness of Jesus is based in His authority. Jesus became a
man. Being a man, some did not believe He was anything more than that.
Some of the scribes said to themselves, “This man is blaspheming.” And
certainly Jesus would have been had He not been God Himself in the
flesh. The scribes showed themselves to reject God since they rejected
the means in which God came to us. He came in the flesh, in the Person
of Jesus.

The issue here is authority. An individual Christian has the authority
to forgive a person who sins against him. But there is no authority to
forgive others categorically as Jesus did with the paralyzed man.
Jesus’ response to the scribes was this, “Why do you think evil in
your hearts? For which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or
to say, ‘Rise and walk’? But that you may know that the Son of Man has
authority on earth to forgive sins—He then said to the
paralytic—‘Rise, pick up your bed and go home.’ And he rose and went
home.”

Jesus has this authority because He is God. God makes Himself known to
us in His Son. God has authority on earth to forgive sins and that is
what He has done. Jesus, on the cross, accomplished salvation for the
world. Full and free forgiveness was won on the cross by God in
bringing His righteous judgment against us on His Son. It is because
of this God in the flesh standing before the paralyzed man forgave his
sins. It is because of this God in the flesh forgives you in your
Baptism and in Absolution and in the Lord’s Supper.

This is after all, what we pray in the Lord’s Prayer: Thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven. His will is that we be forgiven. His
forgiving us is done in His Son. Where He is there is forgiveness.
God’s will is shown to us and made known to us in His Son. Where Jesus
was in the flesh standing before the paralyzed man to forgive him, He
is in the flesh for us in His Sacraments. Therefore, where Baptism is,
there is forgiveness. Where the Lord’s Supper is, there is
forgiveness. Our Lord is present in those means in which He comes to
us and in which He forgives us.

When we are brought to the font to be Baptized Jesus looks at our
faith. In that very Sacrament of Baptism He gives the very faith
needed in order to be forgiven. It is faith which trusts in the Word
of God made flesh, Jesus Christ Himself. When we are brought to be
Baptized it is on the authority of Jesus Himself, not our own.  That
is how we know that we are forgiven. Our Lord has done it Himself, in
the flesh, through the faith He gives us, by His authority.

Where our Lord is, there is forgiveness. And where our Lord is, there
is also life and salvation—in body and in soul, both now and forever.
Amen.

SDG

--
Pastor Paul L. Willweber
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church [LCMS]

It is the spirit and genius of Lutheranism to be liberal in everything
except where the marks of the Church are concerned.
[Henry Hamann, On Being a Christian]