“Thank God for Fullness … and More!”

In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]

Dear grateful recipients of God’s bounteous blessings, grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord [Amen.]

“Praise and thanksgiving, Father, we offer

For all things living, Created good:

Harvest of sown fields, Fruits of the orchard,

Hay from the mown fields, Blossom and wood.”

(Lutheran Service Book, © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. 789:1)

Old Testament Reading.................................................... Deuteronomy 8:1-10 (esp. 10)

And you shall eat and be full, and you shall bless the Lord your God for the good land he has given you.

Prologue: It’s time for true confession this [morning / evening]. All of us enjoy eating, don’t we? I certainly do. I especially enjoy my wife’s wonderful cooking … as well as that of the people of Perryville and Perry County. The problem is, however, that we have difficulty stopping when our hunger has been satisfied. Because the food is so tasty we too often eat not only to satisfaction … but beyond. Instead of stopping with that one healthy helping of delicious food … we then go for a second and, too often, additional helpings that then leave us feeling miserable and in dire need of an after-meal nap. That is, we too often eat to fullness … and then more!

You know, the presidential proclamations that led up to our present day Thanksgiving holiday are heavily weighted with gratitude for national and material blessings—Apostles’ Creed First Article and Lord’s Prayer Fourth Petition Items. However, they contain only glancing references to the spiritual blessings of rescue, redemption, and reconciliation that Jesus Christ gained for us with His Holy life, innocent suffering, crucifixion death, and majestic resurrection from the dead. Nevertheless, what was and continues to be a national holiday has also become a liturgical church year occasion to …

“Thank God for Fullness … and More!”

Okay, in order to get the full impact of this national holiday as it’s set in the context of the liturgical church year (even as we eagerly anticipate tables overloaded with food items and hours of sleeping in front of exciting football games), let’s review The First Article of The Apostles’ Creed and The Fourth Petition of The Lord’s Prayer with their meanings. Please turn to page 322 in Lutheran Service Book, page 322 … and join me in reading The First Article and its meaning. “Creation I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth.

“What does this mean? I believe that God has made me and all creatures; that He has given me my body and soul, eyes, ears, and all my members, my reason and all my senses, and still takes care of them.

“He also gives me clothing and shoes, food and drink, house and home, wife and children, land, animals, and all I have. He richly and daily provides me with all that I need to support this body and life.

“He defends me against all danger and guards and protects me from all evil. All this He does only out of fatherly, divine goodness and mercy, without any merit or worthiness in me. For all this it is my duty to thank and praise, serve and obey Him.

    “This is most certainly true.”

Now please turn to page 324, page 324 … and read with me The Fourth Petition and its meaning. “Give us this day our daily bread.

“What does this mean? God certainly gives daily bread to everyone without our prayers, even to all evil people, but we pray in this petition that God would lead us to realize this and to receive our daily bread with thanksgiving.

“What is meant by daily bread? Daily bread includes everything that has to do with the support and needs of the body, such as food, drink, clothing, shoes, house, home, land, animals, money, goods, a devout husband or wife, devout children, devout workers, devout and faithful rulers, good government, good weather, peace, health, self-control, good reputation, good friends, faithful neighbors, and the like.” (Lutheran Service Book. Copyright ©2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Pages 322 & 324.)

In addition, the Reverend Doctor Martin Luther composed a Morning Prayer that begins with, “I thank You my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger …”; an Evening Prayer that begins much the same way, “I thank You my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have graciously kept me this day …”; and two after-meal prayers that begin with “Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good” and “We thank You, Lord God heavenly Father, for all Your benefits … .” (Ibid. Pages 327f.)

You see, Thanksgiving Day is all about thanking God for fullness … and more. While it’s a day for celebrative thanksgiving, such celebrative thanksgiving hopefully reminds us that thanking God is an everyday activity … not just an occasional or annual event. As we do so, let’s put everything in proper perspective by realizing that we …

  I.   Thank Him Even for Humbling and Testing. (1-4)

1“The whole commandment that I command you today you shall be careful to do, that you may live and multiply, and go in and possess the land that the Lord swore to give to your fathers. 2And you shall remember the whole way that the Lord your God has led you these forty years in the wilderness, that he might humble you, testing you to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep his commandments or not. 3And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord. 4Your clothing did not wear out on you and your foot did not swell these forty years.

When Jesus was told that His mother and brothers were waiting to visit with Him He declared, “My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it.” (St Luke 8:21 ESV) When an unidentified woman in a crowd told Jesus, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts at which you nursed!” (St Luke 11:27 ESV), He exclaimed, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!” (St Luke 11:28 ESV) Two of the countless evidences of true Christianity are hearing (that includes reading, marking, studying, learning, and taking to heart) and keeping (that is, believing, confessing, and obeying) God’s Holy Word. After all, God’s Holy Word “is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.” (2 Tim 3:16-17 ESV) In addition, it’s “a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” (Ps 119:105 ESV) More important than all that, however, God’s Holy Word was “written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.” (St John 20:31 ESV)

You see, the Book of Deuteronomy is “essentially a restatement of all the commandments and statutes which the Lord had given to His people.” In fact, “The book contains the last discourses of Moses, the man of God, addressed to the children of Israel.” As Moses realized that his earthly life was growing short, he “once more reminds them of all the mercies, ordinances, and promises of God. The time is the beginning of the eleventh month of the fortieth year after the exodus from Egypt to the seventh day of the twelfth month in the same year … .” (Christopher F. Drewes in Introduction to the Books of the Bible. Copyright © 1929 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Page 41.) In addition, “The Israelites are stationed in the land of Moab on the east side of the Jordan river. The book covers a period of forty days. Moses is preparing the Israelites for their entry into Canaan … .” (Theodore Huggenvik in Your Key to the Bible: A Presentation of Your Religious Concern with the Bible. Copyright © 1944 Augsburg Publishing House, Minneapolis, MN. Page 21.)

In His divine omniscience God knew the rich abundance that awaited the Israelites in the Promised Land, which they were about to enter. He also knew that they would remember the difficult times they had just experienced on their journey there. With all that in mind, “Moses said that God led Israel through the wilderness to test them. The purpose of his test was to lead Israel to trust him more fully. The reason he provided such miraculous physical blessings was to show his people that they needed, and that he was capable of providing, far more than physical blessings. With his word the Lord could meet all their physical needs as well as the still greater needs of their souls. Without God’s word, physical blessings by themselves will never be enough. Food alone won’t give life. Life has deeper dimensions that only God can satisfy.” (Mark E. Braun in People’s Bible Commentary: Deuteronomy. Copyright © 1995 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Pages 81f.)

So it was for God’s covenant people then and for us His baptized children today, material blessings are certainly important as they sustain and nourish our physical mortal bodies. However, God’s Holy Word is the spiritual bread of life that sustains and nourishes our immortal souls. While the physical food of our Thanksgiving feasts and daily meals is essential for the welfare of our bodies, the spiritual food that God gives us in Holy Baptism, the reading and hearing of His Holy Word, the declaration of Holy Absolution, and Christ’s body and blood in Holy Communion is vital for the welfare of our souls.

         At the same time, however, let’s …

 II.   Thank Him Also for Discipline and Abundance. (5-9)

5Know then in your heart that, as a man disciplines his son, the Lord your God disciplines you. 6So you shall keep the commandments of the Lord your God by walking in his ways and by fearing him. 7For the Lord your God is bringing you into a good land, a land of brooks of water, of fountains and springs, flowing out in the valleys and hills, 8a land of wheat and barley, of vines and fig trees and pomegranates, a land of olive trees and honey, 9a land in which you will eat bread without scarcity, in which you will lack nothing, a land whose stones are iron, and out of whose hills you can dig copper.

God’s amazingly gracious and generous nature is that He doesn’t give us only what we need, He gives us abundantly more than we need! He did so with the Israelites some 3,500 years ago and He still does so with us today. God provided them with “everything … that was needed for comfortable and even luxurious living,” (Paul E. Kretzmann in Popular Commentary of the Bible: The Old Testament Volume I, The Historical Books of the Old Testament: Genesis to Esther. Copyright © 1923 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Page 318.) and He continues to do so with us today. He takes care of us by giving us “food and clothing, home and family, work and play, and all that [we] need from day to day.” As if that’s not enough, “He defends [us] against all danger and guards and protects [us] from all evil.” Why? “All this He does only out of fatherly, divine goodness and mercy, without any merit or worthiness in [us].” (Luther’s Small Catechism with Explanation. Page 117.)

And that, my dear fellow children of the heavenly Father, brings us to the heart and soul of this annual Thanksgiving Day celebration, namely, response. That’s what the one leper exemplified about whom today’s Third Reading informed us, “Then one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, praising God with a loud voice; and he fell on his face at Jesus’ feet, giving him thanks.” (St Luke 17:15-16a) Also, it’s what we prayed for in today’s Collect, “Grant us Your Holy Spirit that we may acknowledge Your goodness, give thanks for Your benefits, and serve You in willing obedience all our days … .”

You see, our response of thanks, praise, service, and obedience is how we …

“Thank God for Fullness … and More!”

We do so with the words that we speak, pray, and sing. We do so by conscientiously and faithfully fulfilling our duty to be good managers of all that God has placed into our care. We do so “when we avoid polluting air, land, and water; carefully dispose of waste; use rather than waste natural resources; conserve rather than waste energy; recycle or reuse materials whenever possible; and value and take care of all God’s creation.” (Ibid. Pages 118f.) And, we do so when we “help and support our neighbor in every bodily need;” when we are “merciful, kind, and forgiving towards our neighbor;” and when we “avoid and assist our neighbor in avoiding the abuse of drugs and the use of any substance that harms the body and the mind.” (Ibid. Pages 80f.)

         By and through it all, let’s ever remember and never forget to …

  I.   Thank Him Even for Humbling and Testing. (1-4)

         At the same time, let’s ever remember and never forget to …

II. Thank Him Also for Discipline and Abundance. (5-9) even as today’s Psalm repeatedly stated: “Give thanks … for his steadfast love endures forever” (Ps 136:1-3 & 26 ESV); and Saint Paul acknowledged in today’s Second Reading: “… do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.” (Philippians 4:6, 19-20 ESV)

God grant it all for the sake of Jesus Christ, His humble Son, our holy Savior. [Amen.]

In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]