Here endeth the series.

The Fourth Wednesday in Advent

A Son Has Been Born

Grace, mercy, and peace to you from God our Father and our Lord Jesus
Christ! Amen! The women of Bethlehem rejoiced in Naomi’s joy. “*A son has
been born to Naomi*!”

Dear Christian friends,

The women of Bethlehem are an example for us, written into the Scriptures
in order that we may learn to share her faith. What does faith do? Faith
looks for nourishment and restoration in the birth of a son. Faith also
turns and speaks faith to the neighbor, in order that that the neighbor’s
faith may likewise find nourishment and restoration in the birth of a son.

The women of Bethlehem have provided immense help to Naomi’s faith. It is
not that Naomi had no faith prior to coming home. Naomi had lived by faith
all the days of her pilgrimage in Moab. But you know from your own
experiences how easily we Christians get ourselves turned around and
muddle-headed concerning the faith. We need each other continually. We must
not only provide one another for comforts in our sorrows but we must also
help one another with the clarity of our thinking and the faithfulness of
our confession. The women of Bethlehem speak Naomi’s faith for her,
clarifying, correcting and re-directing Naomi, just as we do for one
another when we join together in confessing the ancient creeds.

Naomi had become understandably turned around in her thinking concerning
the birth of a son. Mahlon and Chilion, her beloved boys, had died. Grief
has a way of messing with your mind and heightening your need both for your
fellow Christians and for their faith. While still in Moab, after her two
boys had died, Naomi despaired at the thought of producing more sons to
give to her daughters-in-law, Ruth and Naomi. That was the problem: Naomi
thought of the birth of a son as something to give, rather than something
to receive. Naomi said, “*Turn back, my daughters; why will you go with me?
Have I yet sons in my womb that they may become your husbands*?” (Ruth 1:11)

No, Naomi, you have no more sons in your womb, in order that you may give
them to your daughters-in-law. But you have also missed the point of hoping
for the birth of a son! Listen to the women of Bethlehem, Naomi! Those
women know and believe that the birth of a son is NOT so that you may have
something to give, Naomi, but that you may have something to receive.

The women said to Naomi, “Blessed be the Lord, who has not left you this
day without a redeemer, and may his name be renowned in Israel! He shall be
to you a restorer of life and a nourisher of your old age, for your
daughter-in-law who loves you, who is more to you than seven sons, has
given birth to him.”

Again, they said in a thrilled voice, “*A son has been born to Naomi*!”

The true joy of that son was NOT found in what Naomi might give, but in
what Naomi shall now receive. Naomi held in her arms and upon her lap the
child whom God had sent, especially for the purpose of providing Naomi with
redemption and restoration and nourishment unto life. The child had not
even been produced by Naomi’s womb, and yet the child was still Naomi’s
child, born for her that day in what would later be called the City of
David.

This child born to Naomi was not yet the Promised Christ, but he certainly
sounds close. The resounding parallels between this child, born in
Bethlehem, and that later, greater Child born in Bethlehem are nearly
deafening. Of Ruth’s son, the women said, “*A son has been born to Naomi*!”
Of Mary’s Son, the angel likewise declared, “*To you is born this day in
the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord*” (Luke 2:11).  As with
the son born to Naomi, so it is with the Son born to Mary: the joy shall
NOT be found in what we might give, but in what we have now received.
Mary’s Son is our redemption and restoration and nourishment unto life. “*A
son has been born to Naomi*,” but Jesus is our baby.