“God’s Approaching Peace Is a Permanent Possession”

In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]

Dear peace-loving and peace-promoting people of God, grace, mercy, and … peace … from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord [Amen.]

“His is no earthly kingdom; It comes from heav’n above.

His rule is peace and freedom And justice, truth, and love.

So let your praise be sounding For kindness so abounding:

Hosanna to the Lord, For He fulfills God’s Word.”

(Lutheran Service Book, © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. 343:4)

Epistle Reading........................................................................... Philippians 4:4-7 (esp. 7)

And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Prologue: There are many and various kinds of calendars that come in untold different shapes, sizes, and materials. There are, for example, desk calendars, wall calendars, pocket calendars, wallet calendars, smart phone calendars, computer calendars, and the list could go on indefinitely. Today let’s consider what I call “candle calendars.” They are what adorn our chancel area during Advent and Lent. The basic difference between them is that the four candles of the Advent candle calendar count the four Sundays in Advent leading up to Christmas by lighting an increasing number of candles each week. The Lent candle calendar, on the other hand, starts out with all seven candles lit and extinguishes one each week as we approach Good Friday, when they’re all extinguished thereby signifying Christ’s death.

Perhaps you’ve noticed that our Advent candle calendar has three blue candles and one pink candle. Lee Maxwell explains that in his informative Altar Guild Manual: “Formerly it was said that the wreath’s four candles should be white, but ecclesiastical supply houses have promoted the custom of using colored candles. If the church’s Advent paraments are blue, blue candles should be used; if purple paraments, purple candles.” At the same time, “The traditional color for Advent is purple, marking Advent more as a penitential season. The optional color for Advent is blue. According to some, blue is the preferred color since it better reflects the spirit of anticipation and hope.” (Lee A. Maxwell in The Altar Guild Manual, Authorized by the Commission on Worship of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod. Copyright © 1996 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Pages 46 & 75.)

Then there’s that lonely pink candle that sticks out like a sore thumb and was lit today (the Third Sunday in Advent) for the first time. It symbolizes joy and rejoicing in the midst of this Advent season of penitential anticipation, waiting, and expectation. That certainly coincides with today’s Epistle Reading, in which the imprisoned apostle Paul reported that …

“God’s Approaching Peace Is a Permanent Possession.”

Just what is that peace that Paul deemed so very important and fills us with joy and rejoicing? Well, it isn’t an emotional feeling; the termination of wars and rumors of war; or the end of animosity between husbands and wives, brothers and sisters, or parents and children. Rather, he explained that it’s a relationship thing when he wrote to the Ephesians: “For he himself [that is, Jesus] is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility by abolishing the law of commandments and ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace, and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility.” (Eph 2:14-16 ESV)

In fact, when Jesus told His disciples, “Peace be with you” He told them that He Himself was with them, because of which they didn’t need to be afraid. That’s the message the angelic choir sang to the shepherds at the time of Jesus’ birth: “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!” (St Luke 2:14 ESV) That same comforting message from our Savior is for us as well when in the Divine Liturgy we hear: “The Lord be with you”; “The peace of the Lord be with you always”; and the Aaronic Benediction concludes with “The Lord … give you peace.” In addition, the order of Vespers contains the Collect for Peace, in which we pray: “O God, … give to us, Your servants, that peace which the world cannot give, … that we, … may live in peace and quietness … .” When we grasp that true meaning and significance of divine peace we naturally and willingly strive to carry out Paul’s encouragement to …

  I.   Be Always Rejoicing. (4-5)

4Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; … .

Paul was in jail in Rome experiencing the very persecution for his faith in Jesus that he had imposed on others prior to his conversion. His condition was far from comfortable, clean, or happy. And on top of that he was nearing the end of his life expectancy. His situation was far from pleasant, satisfying, or enjoyable and in and of itself did not promote rejoicing.

So, what things in this sin-stained world fight against joy and rejoicing? In his Denison Forum on Truth and Culture, that exists to engage contemporary culture with biblical truth, author Jim Denison wrote this past Thursday, December 10, 2015: “Facebook has released its annual list of the most discussed topics among its users. Look over the list, and notice how many are negative: The contentious U.S. presidential election; November 13 terrorist attacks in Paris; Syrian civil war and refugee crisis; Nepal earthquake in April; Greek debt crisis; Same-sex marriage; Fight against ISIS; Charlie Hebdo terrorist attack; Baltimore police protests; Charleston, South Carolina shooting; and Confederate flag debate. [Ours is] a world filled with chaos and controversy.”

But we don’t have to look very far to discover that even our local world is chaotic and controversial. The headlines of articles in this past week’s Thursday, December 10, 2015, and Friday & Saturday, December 11 & 12, 2015, issues of Cape Girardeau’s Southeast Missourian newspaper revealed: “Woman seriously injured in late-morning accident”; “Man in jail dies after struggle with officers”; “Man accused of dumping body after overdose”; “Woman killed by uprooted tree”; “Car drives into store building, injures child”; and “Police seek truck in hit-and-run accident”. Coming even closer to home, the Thursday, December 10, 2015 edition of the Republic-Monitor reported: “Fatal crash on Interstate 55” and “Fire destroys home occupied by police officers”.

Today’s Old Testament Reading made reference to enemies, evil, weakness, reproach, oppressors, lameness, outcast, shame, and loss of wealth. And today’s Gospel Reading made reference to diseases, plagues, evil spirits, blindness, leprosy, deafness, and death itself.

What, then, is there to be joyful and rejoice about? Well, consider today’s Introit: “Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. The Lord sets the prisoners free; the Lord opens the eyes of the blind. The Lord lifts up those who are bowed down; the Lord loves the righteous.” (Phil 4:4; Ps 146:7-8 ESV)

Today’s Old Testament Reading gives us more to be joyful and rejoice about: “Sing aloud, O daughter of Zion; shout, O Israel! Rejoice and exult with all your heart, O daughter of Jerusalem! The Lord has taken away the judgments against you; he has cleared away your enemies. The King of Israel, the Lord, is in your midst; you shall never again fear evil. The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.” (Zeph 3:14-15, 17 ESV)

Then there’s the jewel-adorned crown of today’s Gradual: “Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion. Shout aloud, O daughter of Jerusalem. Behold, your king is coming to you; righteous and having salvation.” (Zech 9:9 ESV)

To top it all off, today’s Gospel Reading reported: “And [Jesus] answered them, ‘Go and tell John what you have seen and heard: the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, the poor have good news preached to them. And blessed is the one who is not offended by me.’” (St Luke 7:22-23 ESV)

You see, trite as it may sound, Jesus is truly the reason for the season … and not just this Advent season but all seasons of the year. He is the One who came into this sin-filled world taking upon Himself the very substance of our human flesh and blood that He participated in creating to accomplish the forgiveness, salvation, and eternal life for us that we cannot accomplish for ourselves. He did so as the holy Lamb of God, upon whom all our sins and iniquities were laid, who endured the punishment that we deserve even death on Calvary’s cross, and who rose from the dead thereby proving that “A. [He] is the Son of God; B. His doctrine is the truth; C. God the Father accepted [His] sacrifice for the reconciliation of the world; and D. all believers in Christ will rise to eternal life.” (Luther’s Small Catechism with Explanation. Copyright © 1986, 1991 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Pages 139F.) He now comes to us regularly, frequently, and even daily in the reading and hearing of God’s Holy Word, the announcement of Holy Absolution, and the administration of the Blessed Sacraments of Holy Baptism and Holy Communion. He does so therein to communicate to us with absolute certainty His limitless mercy and grace. And, it’s that infinitely divine compassion that motivates and enables us to strive to …

 II.   Eliminate and Avoid Anxiety. (6)

… do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

In his devotion designated for November 30, the Reverend Mark Jeske wrote: “A Western tough guy explained to a padre why he didn’t pray much: ‘Prayin’ is beggin’, I don’t beg nobody for nuthin’.’ This hombre took self-reliance to a sad extreme. In fact, prayer is not beggary. Human dads love to hear from their children, and they love to help children in their time of need. How much more does our great heavenly Father absolutely love the intimate spiritual communication that He invented, blesses, and guarantees?”

Rev. Jeske continued: “Here is the concept: the Master of the universe invites all believers to send messages to the throne via their Savior, Jesus. He promises to answer all requests in the way that will do us the most good. He is loaded with good things to give us and is intentionally just waiting to be asked. What do you need right now?”

He concluded: “Here are Paul’s wonderful words of encouragement for you: ‘Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God’ (Philippians 4:6). Note to self: This ain’t beggin’. This is respondin’ to my Daddy’s sweet invitation.” (Mark Jeske in Time of Grace: A Devotional Companion. Copyright © 2010 Time of Grace Ministry. Published by Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Page 353.)

Without a doubt there are many plans, preparations, and provisions that are flooding our time, energy, bank accounts, and credit cards in these final days before Christmas. Bodies grow fatigued, minds get frazzled, nerves become frayed, and relationships are strained. The “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!” (St Luke 2:14 ESV) that our loving heavenly Father desires for us as we approach the annual formal celebration of His only-begotten Son’s birth can easily become hidden and even lost amidst all the hubbub of the season’s busyness. So it’s good, right, and beneficial that on this Third Sunday in Advent we sit back, breathe deeply, and relax with joy and rejoicing that …

“God’s Approaching Peace Is a Permanent Possession.”

That’s one Christmas gift no one can take away from us and we hopefully won’t return or exchange for something of lesser temporary value. Indeed, it’s THE gift that God gives us so that we can, both here in time and hereafter in eternity, …

  I.   Be Always Rejoicing. (4-5)

and with which we can strive to …

 II.   Eliminate and Avoid Anxiety. (6)

As we do so, let’s be eagerly looking forward with excited anticipation to and be always penitentially preparing for our Savior’s future return on the Last Day to judge the living and the dead. For God has assured us that because of what Christ did to atone for our sins we possess the calming confidence and restful reassurance that He will take us to be with Him to live eternally in the heavenly mansions that He’s even now preparing for all who believe in Him in their hearts and confess Him with their mouths. In the meantime, let’s continually be praying what we prayed in today’s Collect: “Lord Jesus Christ, we implore You to hear our prayers and to lighten the darkness of our hearts by Your gracious visitation.”

God grant it all for the sake of Jesus Christ, His humble Son, our holy Savior. [Amen.]

In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]