New Year’s Eve

Time Is On Our Side

Grace, mercy and peace to you from God our Father and our Lord Jesus
Christ! Amen. Our God declares in tonight’s Old Testament, “*In returning
and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your
strength.*”

Dear Christian friends:

Time was on Abraham’s side. He was seventy-five years old and childless
when God first promised to make him a great nation. A decade and a half,
and several promises later, Abraham still waited. No assistance was
required from Hagar, the Egyptian slave. Eliezer of Damascus would not be
needed as a substitute. No matter that Sarah was in her nineties, unable to
bear a child. “*She shall become nations*;” declared the Lord, “*kings of
peoples shall come from her*” (Genesis 17:16). Wait for it, Abraham. Time
is on your side, old man. “*In returning and rest you shall be saved; in
quietness and in trust shall be your strength*.”

Time was on Joseph’s side, too. Falsely accused by those who had power over
him, forgotten by those who could help him, Joseph sat in prison with
nothing but an old promise from God. Had those Words been only a dream?
Wait, Joseph. Time is on your side. “*In returning and rest you shall be
saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your strength*.”

Time was on Jeremiah’s side. He crouched in the dark and slimy depths of a
well, fingertips against the wall. Jeremiah had been lowered into the well
by those who did not wish to hear him preach. Wait, Jeremiah. While you
wait, learn from God that faithfulness and forbearance rarely receive
thanks.

Time was on Elijah’s side. He sat in a cave and cried over his beer,
worried that the congregation of Israel had dwindled to nothing. Waiting
required Elijah to learn that our God *always* preserves His church. Not
even the most committed opponents will gain any ground the Lord chooses not
to give.

“*And what more shall I say? Time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak,
Samson, Jephthah, David, and Samuel and all the prophets*” (Hebrews
11:32)—all of whom had been given the promises of God; all of whom had to
wait. Israel waited during her captivity in Egypt, and again during her
exile in the wilderness. Daniel waited in Babylon; Ruth waited in
Bethlehem; Simeon and Anna waited in the temple courts with “*all who were
waiting for the redemption of Jerusalem*” (Luke 2:38). And what did St.
John the Evangelist see?

[He] saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the Word
of God and for the witness they had borne. They cried out with a loud
voice, “O Lord, holy and true, how long? How long before You will judge and
avenge our blood?” (Revelation 6:9-10).

All of these people waited. In each and every case, time was on their side.
Perhaps God made them wait so that we would not be quite so lonely in our
waiting; so that we may hear these Words of God with opened ears and with
the expectation of faith: “*In returning and rest you shall be saved; in
quietness and in trust shall be your strength*.”

Time is NOT slipping away from you. Time is on your side. The Lord your God
has redeemed you, purchasing you with the blood of Christ to be His own,
dear child forever. In time, Christ Jesus our Lord shall return to judge
the living and the dead.

It will be said on that day, “Behold, this is our God; we have waited for
Him, that He might save us. This is the Lord; we have waited for Him; let
us be glad and rejoice in His salvation” (Isaiah 25:9).

I will admit that the Last Day is not usually at the forefront of my mind,
especially when it comes to the things for which I wait. There are plenty
of other things—lesser things—for which I wait. A certain portion of those
things boils down to you. The pastor always has unfinished business with
somebody. I have had to learn that time is on my side. Aside from the Word
of God, I have nothing better to give you than time.

I am not alone in waiting for lesser things. You also have other
things—lesser things—for which you likewise earnestly wait. Your actions,
your posture and your proximities all make it clear: You are waiting for
your loneliness end, or for your body to get back to how it used to be. You
are waiting for your children finally to get their heads screwed on
straight, but that might not happen overnight. You are waiting to feel less
angry, less knotted inside. You are waiting to feel less afraid. You are
waiting for your nemesis to challenge you no more.

Our fathers in the faith all waited for lesser things, too. They can help
us:

·        Abraham might tell us that, while we wait, we should not attempt
to force the situation or try to make things happen before their time.

·        Joseph would probably assure us that our God may be resolutely
trusted, even if prolonged waiting should make all God’s promises seem like
illusions and dreams.

·        Jeremiah might point us to the psalm, so that we also might pray
while we wait: “Out of the depths have I cried to Thee, O Lord; O Lord,
hear my voice. Let Thine ear be attentive to the voice of my supplication.”

Elijah, Ruth, David, Simeon and Anna: Every single one of them would tell
you that time is on your side; that waiting for the Lord is never time
wasted or spent in vain. The resurrection of Jesus announces that not even
death will mean that the game is over. So wait. Wait undisturbed. “*In