“Divine Self-Denying Love Epiphanied Jesus as the Christ”

In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]

Dear fellow recipients of God’s self-denying love, grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord [Amen.]

“In the day this world is fading

Faith and hope will play their part;

But when Christ is seen in glory

Love shall reign in every heart:

May love be ours, O Lord.”

(Lutheran Service Book, © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. 695:4)

Epistle Reading....................................................................... 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a, 13)

4Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8aLove never ends. 13So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Prologue: The highest form of love is that which motivates someone to deny and even sacrifice him or herself for another person … especially when that other person is an avowed enemy. The Reverend Rudolph F. Norden explained that concept further in a devotion he wrote based on verse 13 of today’s Epistle Reading: “Even more lasting than romantic love—called eros in Greek—is love flowing from the Christian’s faith in the love of God. The Greek New Testament calls it agape. The apostle Paul extols it in 1 Corinthians 13. He speaks of love as giving validity to phenomena that would otherwise be passing—speech in superhuman and angelic tongues, prophecy, the understanding of mysteries, knowledge, heroic faith, works of charity, and self-sacrifice. He boils everything to these three abiding virtues: faithfulness, hope, and love, adding, ‘But the greatest of these is love.’” (Rudolph F. Norden in Each Day with Jesus: Daily Devotions through the Year. Copyright © 1994 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Page 188.) I’ll finish that quote in the conclusion of my sermon, but for now realize that today’s sermon text implies the simple and so very profound message that …

“Divine Self-Denying Love Epiphanied Jesus as the Christ.”

As Pastor Marks reminded us last weekend, we’re still in the season of Epiphany … the transition between Christmas and Lent; the time after Jesus’ humanity was revealed by His incarnate birth; the time during which His divine nature was manifested through miracles that He did; and the time preceding the revelation of both His human and divine natures through His death and resurrection. In fact, all that Jesus did during His three-year ministry fulfilled the purpose of showing that …

I. Divine Self-Denying Love is More Excellent Than Sinful Self-Centeredness. (12:31b-13:3)

31bI will show you a still more excellent way. 1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Using hyperbole (that word means exaggeration), the apostle Paul identified the following three perceived qualities: being able to speak in foreign or even heavenly languages; “a deep insight into divine revelation and a thorough understanding of the same” coupled with a “wonder-working faith”; and self-depriving generosity coupled with hypocritical martyrdom. (Dr. George Stoeckhardt in Exegetical Lectures on the First Epistle of Paul to the Corinthians. Presented in English by H. W. Degner, Pastor Emeritus, Ltt.D., Fairmont, MN. Page 77.)

To one extent or another and on one or more occasions all sinful humankind has fallen victim to Satan’s temptation of self-glorification. At some time or another and in one way or another we all have said nice words or done nice things in order to be noticed, receive a compliment or gratitude, or be recognized for moral superiority. Our words and works are sometimes less about self-denying self-sacrificial service to or for others than they are about bringing praise-attention to ourselves. Because of these and many other of the devil’s temptations to sin it’s important for us to make what we prayed in today’s Collect an ongoing part of our prayer life: “Grant strength and protection to support us in all dangers and carry us through all temptations.”

You see, the supposedly good words that we speak and good deeds that we do amount to absolutely nothing before God when they’re said or done for self-adoration. It’s certainly true that “In the Law God commands good works of thought, word, and deed and condemns and punishes sin” and “In the Gospel, the good news of our salvation in Jesus Christ, God gives forgiveness, faith, life, and the power to please Him with good works.” (Luther’s Small Catechism with Explanation. Copyright © 1986, 1991 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO. Page 52.) However, in order for works and words to be good before God we must understand that “In God’s sight a good work is everything that a child of God does, speaks, or thinks in faith according to the Ten Commandments, for the glory of God, and for the benefit of his or her neighbor.” (Ibid. Page. 154.) In fact, such good works and words are “the necessary result of repentance” (Ibid. Page 227.) about which Immanuel’s cousin John the Baptizer declared to the self-righteous Pharisees and Saducees: “Bear fruit [or ‘do genuine good works’] in keeping with repentance.” (St Matt 3:8 ESV) It’s what Saint Paul wrote to the Christians in Rome: “Let love be genuine.” (Rom 12:9 ESV)

Our inability to fulfill that divine directive was fulfilled by Jesus for us. His love for us was genuinely self-denying and self-sacrificial. He kept God’s Law perfectly … for us. He endured … for us … the punishment (even death on Calvary’s cross) that we deserve because of our imperfect keeping of God’s Law. He then arose from the dead thereby making known His divine power and validating all His atoning work to rescue us from sin, Satan, and eternal death-separation from God in the fiery abyss of hell. The Holy Spirit uses all that Jesus did for us to motivate us to …

II. Strive to Imitate Jesus By Doing Divine Self-Denying Acts of Love. (13:8b-12)

8bAs for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

Many … perhaps most … maybe even all of us adults can certainly remember one … or more … probably many foolish things that we did or said as children. Having now progressed to older years of life and accumulated greater amounts of wisdom, we hopefully have replaced childish words and actions with wiser ones.

Our spiritual lives are much the same way. At Baptism we were born anew from on high into God’s family of believers-in-Jesus. In that sacred washing with water and God’s Holy Word the Holy Spirit gave us the gifts of forgiveness of sins, salvation, and eternal life that Christ gained for us. At the same time, He set us on a path of sanctified living that, at our young age, was not necessarily very evident. But as we matured in the faith once given we also matured in living that faith with divine self-denying acts of love that imitate Jesus.

Nurtured by reading and hearing God’s Holy Word, comforted by Holy Absolution, and strengthened by Immanuel’s true body and true blood received in Holy Communion, we grow and mature in our Christian faith and reflect that growth and maturity in our Christian lives. In our younger years we loved God and others with selfish thoughts, desires, words, and deeds. But as we advance in age and spiritual growth we love God and others with increasing selfless thoughts, desires, words, and deeds, and thereby reflect to others the love with which God loves us.

Jesus Himself demonstrated that selfless love and also further revealed His divine nature when, as reported in today’s Gospel Reading, He “was teaching them on the Sabbath, and they were astonished at his teaching, for his word possessed authority. But Jesus rebuked [the spirit of an unclean demon], saying, ‘Be silent and come out of him!’ And when the demon had thrown him down in their midst, he came out of him, having done him no harm. And [Jesus] stood over [Simon’s mother-in-law] and rebuked the fever, and it left her, and immediately she rose and began to serve them. Now when the sun was setting, all those who had any who were sick with various diseases brought them to [Jesus], and he laid his hands on every one of them and healed them. And demons also came out of many, crying, ‘You are the Son of God!’” (St Luke 4:31b-32, 35, 39-41 ESV)

In addition, today’s Introit prophetically revealed about Yahweh: “The Lord is king forever and ever; the nations perish from his land. O Lord, you hear the desire of the afflicted; you will strengthen their heart; you will incline your ear to do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, so that man who is of the earth may strike terror no more.” (Ps 10:16-18 ESV) In fact, Yahweh demonstrated His divine care and provision for the young prophet Jeremiah, who was overly concerned about his youthful inability to serve God, and us as well when He told him in today’s Old Testament Reading: “But the Lord said to me, ‘Do not say, “I am only a youth”; for to all to whom I send you, you shall go, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, declares the Lord.’” (Jer 1:7-8 ESV)

So, to finish the quote that I began in the prologue of this sermon, the Reverend Norden wrote: “Much of what we hold in the Christian faith must await eternal life in heaven before it comes to fruition and completeness. Our knowledge is imperfect; some of the truths we hold in faith don’t make sense because they surpass human understanding. With love it’s different. It always makes sense; it doesn’t have to be put away on a shelf as we await further enlightenment. It is always in place, always applicable, always understandable in life’s here and now. How thankful we are that love abides!

“Such love inheres in the love of God and in that great gift he gave: His Son Jesus Christ. Believing in Him, we have eternal life. What is more, from that love springs our love to Him and to one another—abiding love.” (Rudolph F. Norden. Page 188.)

         You see, that love, after all, is the …

“Divine Self-Denying Love (that) Epiphanied Jesus as the Christ.”

         Let’s continue to meditate on that truth, remembering that …

I. Divine Self-Denying Love is More Excellent Than Sinful Self-Centeredness. (12:31b-13:3)

Being built up and encouraged by that truth, let’s then energetically…

II. Strive to Imitate Jesus By Doing Divine Self-Denying Acts of Love. (13:8b-12) As we do so, let’s make sure those acts of love are sanctified good works that, as the Epiphany Gradual instructs us: “Praise the Lord, all nations! Extol him, all peoples! For great is his steadfast love toward us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever. Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name; bring an offering, and come into his courts!” (Ps 117:1-2a; 96:8 ESV)

God grant it all for the sake of Jesus Christ, His humble Son, our holy Savior. [Amen.]

In the name of the Father and of the X Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Amen.]